ch. 4 || out of the woods

Just as you were about to give in and seek him out, the door creaked open. Your heart skipped a beat and you turned to find Scaramouche standing there, unusually composed.

"Y/N," he said, his voice a blend of concern and comfort. "Are you okay?" You nodded slowly and he smiled at that.

"I believe we need to talk."

Your nerves were on edge, the air between the two of you filled with unspoken words and emotions.

Scaramouche took a deep breath, sitting down next to you. "I heard about what happened. About us being seen together."

You swallowed hard, already rehearsing the apology you had in mind. "I...I'm really sorry, I didn't plan for it to be like this. I know you weren't ready for our relationship to be exposed, and so was I but I wasn't thinking carefully and—"

He inclines in to kiss you on the lips before pulling away, rendering you speechless. "It's not your fault, love. We both knew it would come to this day eventually." You felt his hand gently patting your head and relief washed over you that every single worry you had melted.

"So, what now?" Scaramouche looks at you, intrigued. "We are exposed."

"Yes, we are." he admitted. "I guess today's that day. Besides, we managed to keep it hidden for quite a long time, I must say."

Your worries began to ease as you looked into his eyes. "You're right..."

He places both of his hands on your shoulder. "I'm sorry I couldn't see you right away. I kept being taken away by that coach...you know how he is." you shook your head, brushing away the stray hairs on his face.

"I think...I left my things at class. I just couldn't wait, you know? I was worried you'd be locking yourself up in this room again." he sits his chin on your head with his hand brushing circles on your back.

You leaned into his embrace. "Thank you for being here." you whispered, voice tinged with gratitude.

He pressed a soft kiss on the top of your head, lips lingering there for a moment. "I'll always be here," he replied, his voice filled with sincerity.

Your heart swelled, and you realised that this moment was what mattered the most amidst the chaos.

The sun was setting, slowly but surely while the light of it casted a warm glow over the two of you and made you feel like everything will be alright. The festival preparations could wait; you simply felt content with him.

Scaramouche leaned back, cupping your face in his hands and gazed lovingly into your eyes. "I love you." he said, the words carrying the weight of the world in them.

A smile tugged at the corner of your lips as you replied back. "I love you more, Scara."

In that moment, in each other's embrace, the worries of the world faded away.

"Their change from public rivals to secret lovers is truly a tale that left us in awe. The two of them seeking refuge on the rooftop where their love blossomed in secrecy—"

"Alright, Nilou, I think that's enough." Dehya held up a finger to pause Nilou from reading an excerpt from the school's newspaper that was written by Charlotte along with Mona.

"Miss Y/N, would you like to explain this?" she demands with a firm tone, tapping her fingers on the table while Nilou beside her is staring intently at you.

"Scaramouche and I are in a relationship," you replied direct to the point. "What's more to it than the fact we love each other?" you added.

"Amazing, I can't believe I'm hearing this from Y/N." she says in utter disbelief. "Weren't you just telling us the other day that seeing him makes you sick in your stomach?" you snorted at her, sipping on your drink.

"How long have you been doing this behind our back?" Nilou pretends to shed a tear, rubbing a knuckle in her eyes to add effect.

"Nine months..."

"You're a disgrace to this family."

As she dramatically wiped her pretend tears away, you couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity of the act. "I guess secret romances aren't really our forte." you quipped.

"Can I just be honest? I actually already had an idea that you two were romantically involved." Nilou speaks up. "I mean, the tension was there, I could sense it!" Dehya turns to her with an expression that says she felt awfully betrayed.

"Well thanks for filling me in, anyways." she says bitterly in her tone. " I simply needed to ensure it was true so I stayed silent!" Nilou chimed in.

"You were too good, you totally had us fooled Pres!" you nodded in agreement with a mischievous grin. "I guess you can say we are worthy of a Grammy award."

Dehya's stern expression softened and she sighed. "I can't say I'm not happy for y'all because I want to jump in joy right now for you. But seriously, how on earth did you hide it for nine months? That's some crazy dedication."

"We were basically like spy agents." you said. "Using codes and covert rendezvous in the council room or by the rooftop."

Nilou bursted into laughter and clapped, amused at your answer. "You are sneaky!"

Dehya rolled her eyes good-naturedly. "Now that the secret is out, why don't you invite Mister Lover Boy to our table sometime?"

"Ooh, are you gonna interrogate him or something?" you teased. "Of course, I will. I've been wanting to!"

"Just make sure the school newspaper doesn't blow this out of proportion," Nilou says a bit worried and you groaned as you imagined the embarrassing articles that might follow.

"Let's just hope they focus more on the love part and less on the enemies part." Dehya smiled warmly at the sight of you and Nilou being in high spirits.

"Here's to your undercover love story finally coming into light!" you raised your lemonade cups before clinking them together in celebration.

"To love!"

In the midst of the revelation, a mischievous grin spread on Kaveh's face. He was one of the first people that had been suspicious of your connection with Scaramouche for quite some time. He leaned back on his chair as he observed the reactions of his fellow council members.

"You guys owe me 30,000 mora." he declared, much to the bewilderment of others.

"What's he talking about?" a clueless council member, Tighnari asked Cyno.

"Kaveh had this crazy theory that Pres and Scaramouche were secretly dating." he explained.

"Yeah! And it turns out I was right." he gloated, extending his hand.

"Alright, pay up folks!"