Pilot [3]

"As we build our birdhouses, remember, what you're making is a home, not a cage." Mary Margaret explained to the class in front of her. Her eyes drifted towards the empty chair next to Avery.

Avery glanced over at where Henry would usually sit and shrugged at her teacher, shaking her head in denial.

Mary Margaret sighed and continued on with her lesson. "A bird is free and will do what it will. This is for them, not us. They're loyal creatures," she leaned out the window to let go of the bird in her hands. "If you love them and they love you, they will always find you,"

The school bell rang to signal the end of the lecture.

"We'll pick this up after recess. No running,"

Avery noticed the mayor begin walking into the classroom and tried to push through the mob of students, only to be grabbed by Regina.

"Where's my son?" Regina asked harshly.

Avery opened and closed her mouth like a fish out of water, grateful when Mary Margaret intervened.

"Ms. Mills?" Mary Margaret voiced. "What are you doing here?"

"Where is my son?" Regina asked again.

Mary Margaret looked at Avery again, but the girl shook her head violently that she didn't know. "Henry? I assumed he was home sick with you,"

"Do you think I'd be here if he was?"

Mary Margaret's gaze drifted towards Emma.

"Did you give him your credit card so he can find her?"

"I'm sorry, who are you?" Mary Margaret asked.

"I'm his...I'm his..." Emma stuttered.

"The woman who gave him up for adoption," Regina interrupted.

Mary Margaret slid her purse off her shoulder and searched its contents.

"You didn't know anything about this, did you?" Emma realized.

"No, unfortunately not," Mary Margaret sighed in defeat, only for Avery to hold out the missing credit card.

"I'm sorry," Avery apologized quietly as she looked down at the floor in guilt.

Mary Margaret took the card back from the girl. "We'll talk about this later,"

Avery nodded.

Mary Margaret huffed as she put the card back in its proper place. "I should never have given him that book,"

"What in the hell is this book I keep hearing about?" Regina asked.

"Just some old stories I gave him. As you well know, Henry is a special boy, So smart. So creative. And, as you might be aware, lonely. He needed it,"

"What he needs is a dose of reality. This is a waste of time," Regina began walking out of the classroom. "Have a nice trip back to Boston,"

Emma sighed as she watched the mayor retreat further into the school building. "Sorry to bother you,"

"No, it's...it's okay; I fear this is partially my fault," Mary Margaret admitted.

"How's a book supposed to help?"

"What do you think stories are for? These stories, the classics, there's a reason we all know them. They're a way for us to deal with our world. A world that doesn't always make sense. Henry hasn't the easiest of life,"

"Yeah, she's kind of a hard-ass,"

"Kind of?" Avery snorted only to look back at the ground as Mary Margaret gave her a scolding look. "Sorry,"

"It's more than her," Mary Margaret continued. "He's like any adopted child. He wrestles with that most basic question they all inevitably face. 'Why would anyone give me away'?" she stopped as she remembered who Emma was. "I am so sorry. I am so sorry; I didn't mean in any way to judge you,"

"It's okay," Emma whispered.

"I gave the book to him because I wanted Henry to have the most important thing anyone can have. Hope. Believing in even the possibility of a happy ending is a very powerful thing,"

"You know where he is, don't you?"

"I don't. But Avery definitely does," Mary Margaret smirked down at the girl.

"You might want to check his castle," Avery admitted.