XVII

"the tips of your teeth fit perfect in me, you're the shower of light I devour any day of the week. baby cleanse me."

-

I taped up the last box, wiping my hands on my sweatpants as I look over all the work I've done. sal stood beside me, wiping the sweat from under his prosthetic.

"I need a shower." he mumbled.

"that sounds amazing." I sighed. "but, we still have to move these to the van. Then, when we're at my new house we can celebrate our work with a shower together?" I asked bashfully.

"that sounds great." sal grabbed my hand.

my mom came in and helped us take all of the boxes out to the rented van. it amazed me how much shit we had.

sal tossed the last box in the back, fitting it perfectly under my vanity.

"all set!" my mom said excitedly. "are you ready?"

"yep." I said, holding up her keys. "hop up front, sally face."

he did so and turned the radio on. white girl pop played, and sal sang all the songs in a valley girl accent. I tried to sing along but kept getting interrupted by my own giggles. sal had his hand on my thigh, occasionally shaking it along with the song. i couldn't help but smile the whole time.

-

we both collapsed onto my bed, now that all the boxes were in my room, we could finally shower.

we walked down the hall attempting to find the bathroom. when we did, we got inside and started the shower. it was a really nice bathroom compared to the apartments.

I quickly undressed and got into the shower. the water pressure was outstanding, and I wasn't scared of the water turning brown.

sal got in right behind me. I turned around and kissed his scarred lips, smiling hard.

-

we laid in underwear and t-shirts under my new covers, staring into eachothers eyes.

my gaze on him softened. "what?" he asked.

"I hope we're soulmates in every universe."