🫥55. Bandai Town

- Okaa-san?  -  Kuroo called weakly.

His mother was sleeping.

***

They had arrived really early in the town of Bandai, and now both him and Tsuki were feeling the brunt of that monstrous journeying they had done in the last 4 days. He had left him with his sister, but not before whispering in her ear that she should be gentle with him.

His Onee-san had blushed a little, but had just nodded. He loved that about her  –  she knew well how to be supportive without saying too many words. He was a lot taller than her, and a lot heavier, of course, but she had often been his rock, his shoulder to cry on.

He was pretty sure that she didn't know too many details about his break-down from 10 years ago, but even she probably knew about some names around his volleyball club at school. If the name of Tsukishima Kei rang a bell to her, she never showed it.

He was kneeling next to the bed, shaken by the awful déjà vu from just a couple of weeks ago. Some things had changed dramatically over those weeks  –  some were exactly the same.

Tiptoeing out of the room, he headed for the kitchen, where he found Kei, looking very tired, sitting on a chair and staring at a cup of steaming  tea. Another cup was placed in front of his sister, who was quiet, as usual, but the moment she saw him enter the room, she got up and poured fresh tea for him too.

- Drink it while it's hot, Otouto.  –  she spoke softly.  –  I guess both of you are very tired. And cold?

Kei just nodded, thankful. Both things were true.

 Both things were true

- Where is Otoo-san?  –  Kuroo asked hoarsely.

- Some work, out.  –  she said simply, but her eyes immediately shifted towards Kei, and he blushed, feeling like a total stranger.  –  But he should be home by tonight. It's the 24th today, little brother.

He nodded, thoughtful.

- Do you need some help today? We could help.  –  he said firmly.

- I...  -  she stumbled over her words.  –  We didn't expect... guests... today. I have not prepared...

- It's OK.  –  Tsukishima helped her out when her voice died out.  –  We'll do some shopping. In the afternoon. Can we?

He turned his face towards Tetsurō and he just nodded in agreement, frowning a little.

- I'll cook, Onee-san. You don't need to worry. About anything.  –  he mumbled.

She raised her eye-brows a little, but she didn't comment.

- You... could have called, you know.

What surprised Kei was that there was absolutely no reproach in her voice now, maybe only sorrow.