Chapter 28

Content Warning: some mild gore.

Someone was knocking her elbow. Jarring her, helping her lift a glass. Champagne flooded her closed lips.

The girl in the white dress swallowed, her throat moving delicately as the champagne poured into her mouth.

Fireworks crackled and boomed, and the girl's skin glowed blue and red and green - a white canvas to paint on.

Warm breath whispered against her ear - "Granger, close your mouth or you'll catch lacewing flies."

The stretched elastic of her mind snapped, and her vision seemed to shiver before refocusing.

Ginny Weasley was within twenty feet of her.

She spun to Blaise, her heart pounding in her throat. She kept her gaze on Ginny in case she vanished. "Blaise, please. You need to take me to Avery. I need to- If I could just get close to her-"

"You must be confusing me with a different Slytherin. I'm afraid my back doesn't bend that way for you, Granger-"

"Please." She looked up at him, and he sipped his champagne, avoiding her eyes. "I haven't seen her since May."

Blaise faced the ballroom as he whispered, "I have no business with Avery. I can't just walk up to him-"

Avery pressed a hand to Ginny's back and steered her toward the doors. Hermione's breath squeezed out of her lungs - to lose her so quickly after getting her back-

"Just walk me that way," she begged. "Just towards the doors, and then I'll figure out-"

"What did I tell you about speaking to your superiors?" Lucius hissed behind her. A warm hand grabbed her elbow. "Behave yourself."

She turned to his cold grey gaze, her lips trembling, trying to beg him without words.

"Clearly you've had enough excitement for the night." His eyes were like ice as he turned to Blaise, speaking loud enough for onlookers. "I apologize for her behavior. I can assure you she'll be thoroughly punished. Please, excuse us."

And without waiting for a response, Lucius escorted her through the crowd with a bruising grip on her upper arm.

"Mr. Malfoy-"

His fingers tightened. "Control yourself," he muttered from the corner of his mouth. "Remember where you are."

She stumbled before quickly finding her footing. The logical part of her brain knew he was right, but the rest of her was screaming to turn around. She needed to get to Ginny.

Lucius nodded at several people as they passed, moving swiftly through the ballroom as Hermione's mind whirred in overdrive. But her heart began sinking with each step. Lucius was right. Short of a miracle, there was no way she could speak to Ginny tonight.

Pain pricked her temple as he led them out the drawing room doors, towards the marble staircase. They closed, sealing Ginny away from her like a coffin. Hermione swallowed, trying to be strong-

"Lucius!" a voice called, just as he put his foot on the first step. They swiveled around to find Yaxley, leaning out the cracked door of the small sitting room tucked behind the staircase. "Come join us. We were just discussing Geneva."

"Of course. Give me a moment to put my pet to bed," said Lucius smoothly. He moved to the second stair, tugging Hermione behind him.

"Bring her," said Yaxley, and Lucius froze. He turned around slowly, and Hermione followed. "I was just about to come looking for you. We have the other one in here, too."