Chapter 6

Mr. Judge stared at his son with wide eyes. "Why? Why are you not sure you want to accept her??"

 "It's a long story....I don't really want to talk about it...Maybe I'll tell you about it later." Hudson said quietly, looking down.

 His father frowned. "Well, alright, son. If that is what you want, then I will not press you." Mr. Judge coughed hard. 

 "Dad, maybe we should go inside. Come on, I'll help you." Hudson stood up and helped his father stand up and walk inside.

 "Fredrick? What's wrong? Are you alright, honey?" Mrs. Judge frowned, going over to her mate. 

 "I'm alright, Betsy. Don't you worry." he gave her a reassuring smile. 

 "Come sit down, Fredrick. Rest a while." Mrs. Judge and her son led Mr. Judge to the couch. He sat down. "Here, have some tea." his wife handed him a glass of iced tea.

 "Thank you, Betsy." 

 Hudson smiled as he watched his parents. Their relationship was always something he admired. Something he wanted for himself and his mate. But, he always imagined his mate able to walk. He never imagined her a paraplegic. He wondered how he could possibly accept her. Could he have that relationship with her and be a warrior at the same time? Could he ever have that kind of relationship and be a warrior?

 Hudson spent a while longer with his parents. When he finally left, he went to visit his mate.

 Grace was outside in the garden. She was playing fetch with Rex. Grace laughed and smiled. Rex wasn't the only one who had a lot of fun playing in the garden. Grace loved it as well. The garden was her special place. A place where she could go to think or just spend some time alone. She was never really alone, which she was really grateful for. She always had Rex by her side.

 At that moment, Grace saw Hudson walking slowly up to her and Rex. She smiled brightly. Rex noticed her smile and paused, looking where she was looking. He dropped his ball and gave a happy bark.

 "Hudson!" Grace greeted happily. She then noticed how upset he looked. She frowned. "Hudson, are you alright?" she asked gently as he stopped in front of her.

 "What happened to your hand?" Hudson didn't answer her question. His gaze had seen the bandage on her hand. He wasn't sure if he really wanted to talk about what was wrong anyway.

 "This? Oh, I cut myself while trying to get lemonade for Danni and I." Grace replied, as if it didn't matter. "But you didn't answer my question. What's wrong?" Hudson sighed heavily, but didn't answer. Grace was getting really worried. Even Rex was worried. 

 Rex's POV:

 Hudson seemed really upset. If anyone needed a belly rub, or a scratch behind the ears, or even a treat, it was him. I whined, worried about him, and looked up at Grace. Grace looked down at me and put her hand on my head.

 "Hudson, come here." Grace told him firmly but gently. Hudson did as he was told. "Sit down." He sat down beside her. "Now look at me." This, he did not do right away. But, after Grace told him a second time, he did. I did not like what I saw. He looked really sad and broken. He had tears in his eyes.

 "Oh, Hudson...." Grace frowned, and wrapped her arms around him. He lay his head on her lap and cried. Grace rubbed his back gently, her head on his. 

 I put my paw on his hand, which lay on Grace's knee. I whined before lying my head down on his hand, wanting to help comfort him. I don't like seeing anyone sad. I try my best to help them feel better. I don't know if it helps, but I try.

 "It's alright, Hudson...It's alright...If you don't want to tell me right now, that's fine....But I want you to know I'm always here for you...When you need me, I'll be right here..." Grace said quietly.

 At that moment, Danni came out of the house. She stopped short, staring at us, looking concerned. 

 "Grace? Hudson? What's going on?" she asked quickly. 

 "I'll explain later, I promise." Grace said, looking over at Danielle. 

 Danni nodded with a worried frown. She walked over and put her hand on his shoulder. "Hey, Hudson....Is everything ok..?" 

 "No." was all he said, through his sobbing.

 Grace looked at Danni with a worried expression. Danni shook her head with a shrug. Grace looked back at Hudson and continued to whisper soothingly to him. She continued to gently rub his back. I raised my head and licked his face, trying to wipe his tears. He actually chuckled a little. That's a good sign, right?

 Third Person POV:

 "I'm sorry..." Hudson said finally, after calming down a little.

 "It's ok, Hudson. You have nothing to be sorry for." Grace said gently, her hand on his cheek, her fingers intertwined with his hair. "I am worried about you, though.."

 "So am I. And I think Rex is too." Danni spoke up, her gaze shifting to Rex.

 Hudson looked at the dog, whose paw was still on his hand. The German Shepard's head continued to rest on his paw. He whined and looked at Hudson. The young man gave a small smiled and pet the dog, scratching him behind his ears.

 "It's just....A long story..." he spoke quietly.

 "We have time. My date with Mark isn't until 8." Danni remarked.

 Hudson sighed. Grace looked at him with a small frown. "You don't have to tell us if you don't want to or it's too hard to talk about. Just remember, we're here when you want to talk. If you need to, call me in the middle of the night. I'll be there. And so will Rexy." Rex lifted his head and gave a small yip, panting a little, his tongue out.

 "Thanks, Grace...I think I just need a little time...Time to process things...Anyway, I'd better get home..." Hudson gave his mate a small smile before getting up. Just as he was about to walk away, Grace stopped him.

 "Wait! If you need to talk during the night, how are you going to call without my number?" she gave a small smile. 

 Hudson chuckled. "Oh, yea. I forgot...What is it?" 

 Grace gave him her number. "Any time you need to talk, nighttime or other, just call me. Promise?"

 "I promise. Thank you, Grace. Thanks, Rex. I'll see you soon." Hudson gave them a small smile before walking away.

 Grace frowned and looked down at Rex, her hand on his head, before looking back at Hudson's retreating figure. "I hope everything's alright with you...." she whispered.