Chapter 8

Mark and Hudson were busy training in the field the next day. Mark wasn't doing very well at all. He seemed tired and distracted. Hudson, who was still limping a little, had managed to land successful attacks on Mark.

Finally, Hudson sighed, shaking his head. He offered his hand to Mark to help him up. "Come on. Let's get some water." Mark nodded and walked back to the bench with his friend. As Mark wiped his sweat, Hudson spoke up. "So, what's got you so distracted?"

 Mark sighed, groaning. "I was just thinking about something...."

 "Last night with Danielle?"

 Mark nearly choked on his own saliva. He stared at Hudson. "H-how did you know-?"

 "I called Grace last night. She didn't hang up the phone when she went to comfort Danielle. I heard their conversation."

 Mark groaned, burying his head in his hands. "I swear I wasn't cheating, Hudson! I would die before I cheat on her! Even then I wouldn't! I swear, if I ever do, I will willingly allow myself to be torn apart! I'll allow you to kill me!"

 "Whoa, whoa, calm down, Mark. No one is killing you. I believe you. But for now, you need to go talk to her. Now." Hudson declared firmly.

 "We haven't finished training yet...?"

 "Mark, go."

 "Ok, ok! I'm going!" Mark exclaimed, getting up. Just before he left the field, he turned and smiled at Hudson. "Thanks, bro..." he said under his breath. Hudson may put work above everything else, but he was a great friend.

 Hudson smiled at his friend's retreating figure. He quickly mind-linked the Alpha to let him know Mark was taking care of some important personal business. He seemed to understand, which was good. It meant Mark wouldn't be in trouble for ditching training.

 Hudson then stood up and went back to his training. It wasn't easy training alone, so he had to work extra hard. Or, that's what was going through his mind anyway.

 Grace was in the living room talking to Danni, Rex at her feet. Danni wanted to talk to Mark as soon as she knew he was done with training for the day. She didn't want to interrupt him. 

 "So, have you talked to Hudson at all? You know, besides yesterday when he came by?" Danni asked.

 "He called last night. He couldn't get to sleep." Grace answered. "I will admit, I was kinda glad to hear from him..." she blushed a little, smiling.

 Danni giggled. "I know what you mean." At that moment, a knocking sound sounded on the door, refusing to stop. Danni and Grace looked at each other confused. "Hang on a sec." she told her friend before getting up. "Hang on! I'm coming!" 

 Danni went to the door and opened it to find an out of breath Mark standing there, panting, holding a wild daisy in his hand. He was sweating as he panted heavily. Danni stared at Mark in shock. She hadn't been expecting him to show up at all.

 "Danni, I love you. I am so so sorry! I swear to you I didn't cheat! She was my cousin, visiting her mate. She goes to college in another state, so I don't get to see her often. When I saw her I just-" Mark was cut off by Danni hugging him tightly.

 "Oh, Mark! I love you too...I'm so sorry for not trusting you...I should've known you'd never cheat on me....I forgive you..." Danni cried.

 Mark smiled and hugged her back. When they finally parted, he gave her the flower. "I found it as I was on my way here...I know you like daisies...I hope you like it."

 "It's perfect, Mark. Thank you." Danielle kissed his cheek before taking his hand. "Now come on in and get yourself something cold to drink. You look like you ran all the way here."

 "Because I kinda did....." Mark said quietly.

 Danni stared at him a moment before smiling. She chuckled a little before taking his hand in hers. Grace smiled brightly when she saw the two. Rex looked up at them and yipped happily. 

 "Hey, Mark! How are you today?" Grace greeted.

 "I'm better now, Grace. Much better." Mark replied.

 "Why don't you go sit down and talk to Grace and Rex? I'll go get something to drink for us." Danielle suggested. Mark nodded and watched as the young woman walked away. He smiled and went to sit down on the couch beside Grace.

 It wasn't long before Danielle returned, carrying a tray in her hands. She handed Grace and Mark each a glass of iced tea before sitting down next to her mate. Rex lifted his head up, looking at her. Danni laughed at his action before holding up a treat. "Is this what you smell, Rexy?" 

 Rex yipped, making the three people laugh. Danni smiled and handed the dog the treat. "There you go, Rex."

 Mark, Grace, and Danielle had a good time talking with each other. Danni laughed when Mark bashfully admitted he'd been in such a hurry to get here, he forgot to change out of his training clothes. That conversation was mind-linked between them, so Grace was unaware.

 So far, Grace was clueless of everything that was going on. Danielle, Mark, and even Hudson were doing well in keeping their secret from her. But, that was not to last for much longer....