Chapter 12

The next day, Grace spoke to Danni, as she pulled out a casual dress from her closet. Danni listened intently to her friend's words.

 "So, let me get this straight. Hudson called you in the middle of the night and asked if he could talk to you?? And you agreed??" Danni stared at her friend, her arms crossed. She was a bit frustrated with Hudson.

 Grace nodded slowly as she pulled the dress on over her head. "I know you're a little frustrated, Danni. I am too...I'm more hurt than anything. But I have a feeling that...this is really important...I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong but...I just feel so strongly towards him...I care about him. He needs me, Danielle. I won't leave him alone when he needs me the most."

 Danielle sighed, shaking her head. "Ok, ok...I understand." she smiled at her friend. "I'll take you to the hospital. What time are you supposed to meet him?"

 "Um...This morning...?" Grace smiled innocently.

 "Oki...That's not much time...But, whatever. Let's get your hair done, girl!" Grace smiled, chuckling, as her best friend took a brush and began brushing her hair. Danni loved doing hair. And Grace enjoyed when she did her hair. Danielle skillfully fishtail braided my hair. 

 "Thanks, Danni. What do you think, Rexy? Are you ready to go?" Grace looked down at her faithful canine companion, who barked in reply. The two girls chuckled. Grace patted the dog's head. "Ok. I'm ready too. Give me just a second, alright, boy?"

 Rex yipped in response. Danielle helped Grace into her wheelchair before leaving real quick to start the car. Grace took the dog leash from off her nightstand. "Up boy." Rex gently jumped up, his front legs resting on Grace's. Grace sighed and pet him, wishing that...She could somehow by some miracle just...feel his weight upon her legs. But, she knew that would never be possible...Grace shook her head and clipped the leash onto Rex's vest. 

 "Good boy. Come on now." Grace grabbed her phone and put it on her lap before wheeling herself out of the room, Rex walking obediently beside her. 

 About an hour later, Grace, Rex, and Danielle reached the hospital. Danni pushed her friend's wheelchair all the way to Hudson's room. "Do you want me to go with you?" she asked.

 "No...That's alright...But thank you for the offer, Danni." Grace smiled up at her. 

 Danielle nodded and opened the door. "Alright. If you need me, I'll be right out here."

 Grace nodded and entered the room, Rex walking beside her. Hudson lay in his bed, curled up under the blanket, fast asleep. She smiled and chuckled a little. He looked cute. Even with his disheveled hair. 

  She looked down at Rex, who looked from her to Hudson. "Let's let him sleep for a bit. He looks like he could use it." she told her dog. 

 Rex's POV:

 Grace and I sat in that room for a long time. Well, it felt like a long time. I've learned that what feels like an eternity is really only a few hours. Finally, Hudson groaned and opened his eyes. It seemed to take him a moment to realize we were there. His eyes suddenly went wide. 

 "Grace?? Y-you-you're here??" he asked.

 "Well, you did want me to come see you this morning so we could talk." my girl responded. I yipped in agreement. 

 "I-I guess I just didn't expect you to be so early..." Hudson said quietly.

 "It's 10:30." 

 Hudson stared at Grace like she'd just spoken in dog. "H-how long have you been here...?"

 "About half an hour." Grace shrugged. How long is half an hour...? 

 "I'm sorry...I was up most of the night thinking and-" 

 "It's fine, Hudson. Really," Grace gave him a small smile. "So...um...What did you want to talk to me about...?"

 Hudson sat up further in the bed, looking at her. He sighed heavily. I cocked my head to the side, whining a little. "I wanted to tell you how sorry I was...How sorry I am..." Grace stayed silent as he spoke. His voice was shaky. "See, for many generations, the men in my family have all become great warriors. My dad was an excellent warrior. I always wanted to live up to his example and make him proud...I wanted to make it to head warrior. Being a warrior is a very important job in a wolf pack. A warrior is someone who protects the pack members, Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and Luna. The head warrior is basically the top warrior. Do you understand so far what I'm trying to explain...?"

 "I think so...?" Grace nodded slowly.

 Hudson nodded and continued. "Well, I guess I was so focused on meeting all those goals that I put it above everything else...And...I was never sure if I wanted a mate because I didn't know if I'd have time for her or would be able to protect her. But...When I met you...It just...escalated...My feelings were all over the place...Part of me wanted you. Bad. The other part of me didn't want you because I didn't think I could protect you or be a good mate to you...I guess I really only saw your disability..."

 The two went silent a moment. Grace looked down at her lap before looking back up at her mate. "And what do you think now...? What are we...? Are you rejecting me, Hudson...?"

 "No! I mean-If you don't want to be my mate, if you don't want to forgive me for being so stupid and for hurting you, then I understand...But...I want to accept you as my mate. I want to be with you, Grace...I want to do the very best I can to make you happy every single day of our lives...I don't care if I never make head warrior...At least I will have earned the best title a man can have...A wonderful mate..."

 Grace had tears rolling down her cheeks. "I forgive you, Hudson...I want to be your mate too...If you'll have me.."

 Hudson smiled brightly and took her hand in his. "Of course I want you....Thank you, Grace, for giving me a chance....I love you."

 Grace looked at him, her eyes wide. She smiled. "I love you too, Hudson."