Chapter 8

Monday afternoon, Lillian sat anxiously on her sofa and looked at the number on her phone again before dialing it. It took several rings before there was an answer.

"Hi, Lillian."

"Hi, James. How are you today?" she asked, trying to sound cheerful.

"I'm fine."

Lillian smiled and shook her head. She should have considered that James wouldn't be much for phone conversation. She frowned again as she thought about her original reason for calling. "So—," she paused, struggling to get through to the news she had to share. "Well—I was just calling because I have bad news."

"Bad news?"

"I can't come to visit this weekend." She sighed, the sadness in her voice clear even to James. "I know we planned on it before I left yesterday. And I know we're just starting this—but, something has come up."

"Something?" He repeated her word, a bit of concern seeping into his voice.

"I just got the call today while I was at school. My art is being featured at an art gallery here in the city. I have to be there."

There was a moment of quiet and she grew concerned that he was upset.

He finally broke the silence. "That doesn't sound like bad news. That sounds like really good news."

Lillian smiled. "Well, I am very excited about it. It is good. Really good. But, bad because we won't get to see each other. Unless..."

"Unless?"

"Unless you came here." She said hopefully, then quickly covered herself. "But I know that's out of the question." There was quiet on the other end of the phone, so she continued. "Anyway, I'll text you a few pictures. I know you wanted to see my work and I was going to bring my portfolio for you and your mom to see this weekend."

"I'd like that."

"Okay—well, I guess I'll let you go now."

"Lillian?"

"Yes."

"I will miss you this weekend. I do miss you, which is ridiculous, seeing as it was just yesterday that I saw you, and I have work to do."

"I know. I miss you too. Can I call you tomorrow?"

There was a short pause. She knew he was calculating his routine in his head to determine if he had time to divert from his normal schedule. "Yes."

"What time?"

"5:30." He paused a moment, then asked, "Does that work for you?"

She smiled. James was thinking outside his own schedule, willingly considering someone else's. That was a big deal. "I'll make it work. Talk to you at 5:30 tomorrow night."

**—**—**

James glanced at the clock on the mantle. 5:29. He sat down in 'his' chair and placed his phone on the armrest before he glanced over at the chair Lillian had been sitting in just a few days before. As the minute hand moved, the phone rang and he quickly answered.

"Hello."

"Hey, you have time to talk?"

"I told you it was okay to call at 5:30."

"Yes, but I didn't know if anything had changed."

"Do I seem like the type of person that things change for?"

"Other than me turning your life upside down."

"Yes, other than that." There was a pause, and he imagined her smiling. It seemed like what she might do.