Chapter 11

Lillian traveled back to New York City knowing there wouldn't be many more trips like this. She spent that week packing and cleaning up her classroom during the day and packing up her small apartment in the evening. There were more tears shed over both, but there was a happy ending, so she worked through them. She was lucky enough that her landlord had a waiting list of people wanting to move into the low-rent building and she was able to break her lease, with the promise she would have it clean and move-in ready when she turned over the keys.

Friday came and she waited anxiously at the sidewalk to see the taxi arrive. When it finally pulled up, both back doors opened and out came both the McMillan siblings. Jackie shook her head as they got out. "I do not miss city traffic. I don't see how you put up with it, Lill."

Lillian grinned, it hadn't gone unnoticed to her that her future sister-in-law just used her nickname. "You get used to it. Plus, if you walk and use the subway, you hardly pay attention to the traffic unless you're crossing the street."

"When will the moving truck be here?" James asked, looking up and down the street, as if it would appear at that moment.

"Soon, and so will Beth. She's coming to help us clean up. She's trying to get as much time with me as she can before we catch the late train tonight. I'm going to miss her." She said as she put an arm around James' waist and snuggled into his side a bit.

He was starting to get used to this and it didn't feel nearly as awkward to rest his arm around her shoulder. "She can come visit as often as you like."

"I still say she should get out of this city, too. It's so expensive to live here," Jackie said as she looked around.

"I might just do that after a few weeks without my Lill here to keep me sane," Beth said as she came walking down the sidewalk towards them.

"Hey, Beth!" Jackie smiled and gave the woman a hug. They had become good friends quickly and it made Lillian happy to see her long-time friend acclimating so well into her new life.

"Hi Beth," James said, then let out an 'oof' as Beth came up and hugged him on his other side.

Lillian clapped and rubbed her hands together. "Alright, my fearless cleaning crew, are you ready to go scrub this place up one side and down the other?"

She led the charge as they all filed into the building and made their way up the stairs to her apartment. A half hour later, the moving truck arrived and they helped the driver load all her belongings into the small truck. After they finished loading up the truck, James made sure the driver had the correct address. Her belongings, all except her backpack and duffel bag, would be delivered and stored in the guest house until they got her unpacked later.

As they watched the truck pull away, Lillian clutched tightly onto James. Jackie then turned with a caring eye to Lillian. "You okay, sweetie?"

Lillian took a deep breath. "Just a lot to take in, you know? Everything is happening so fast."

Jackie came up beside her and rubbed her on the arm, smiling at her, then her brother. "Just a few weeks and you'll be settled into your new home with this guy. Lord help you, I don't know how you'll manage that."

Lillian and Jackie both chuckled together and James rolled his eyes at his sister. Beth popped in. "How about pizza before you head out?"

**—**—**

Late that night, the travelers arrived at Jackie's home, the original McMillan homestead, that was just down the road from James'. In the midst of their planning, Jackie had offered for Lillian to stay in the guest room at her home until the wedding that would be taking place just a week later.