Chapter 9

When Beth found out that James was making another trip back into the city to visit Lillian, she had insisted on taking the two of them out to dinner. She then used her extensive knowledge of the city to find a restaurant that she thought would be perfect for the three of them. From her first meeting with James, and with the knowledge Lillian had shared, she knew she'd have to find some place cozy and quiet.

Lillian smiled at her friend as she led them down the sidewalk towards the restaurant. When they arrived, she and James busied themselves with looking at the artwork on the walls of the waiting area while Beth spoke to the maitre d'. She came to them a few minutes later with a smile. "Okay, we're ready!"

A waiter escorted them to a table in the back corner. It was cozy and quiet and they could see the rest of the restaurant from there. As they arrived at the table, Beth was grinning. "Is this okay? We can ask for another table if you see something you prefer. And if it's too bright or the music is too loud, they're happy to adjust it. This is the most sensory-friendly restaurant in the city. They've set it up so that each table has its own lighting and sound controls."

Lillian smiled again at her friend. "I think it's perfect, Beth. Thank you for being so considerate. James, what do you think?"

James held the chair out for Lillian, then Beth, and then sat in his own. "It's—nice."

Lillian looked at Beth and nodded. Beth knew from her conversation with Lillian, if he said it, he meant it.

"Awesome," Beth said with a grin.

Thirty minutes later, they were deep into conversation and Beth was telling another story about her and Lillian's history and friendship. Suddenly, Lillian noticed a frown appear on James' face, just before she heard a chilling voice.

"Well, if it isn't my dearest wife, Lilly," the man said with a sneer. "Lilly baby, I was wondering how long it would take me to find you."

Lillian's face went from shock to horror to disgust in a matter of seconds. She stood up from her seat, tall and confident, hoping to hide her shaking hands. "Victor, if you know what's good for you, you'll walk out of this restaurant right now."

"Oh, has my little Picasso found her voice?" He sneered again, then frowned. "Didn't I ever teach you about being rude, baby?"

"Well, you certainly didn't teach by example. You were rude enough for the both of us. Leave me alone, Victor. I'm not your 'wife' or your 'baby' anymore. You cannot be within fifty feet of me."

"Well, you see, baby, I got out on good behavior and that restraining order expired two weeks ago." Victor looked down at Beth, still ignoring the man who sat between the two ladies. "I see you still haven't found better friends."

James could see Lillian's hands shaking. He looked at Beth and saw a look of pure horror and fear on her face. It only took a quick assessment to decide what had to happen. He took a deep breath and stood up, gaining Victor's attention as he did so, particularly because he towered over the other man by several inches. "Sir, I suggest you do what the lady has so kindly asked and leave her alone."

"Who do you think you are?" Victor taunted.

Beth gained a bit of courage as she spoke out in James' defense, "He is Lillian's boyfriend. And he's twice the man you are."

Victor's eyebrow raised. "Oh, is that so? Perhaps Lillian's boyfriend and I need to go outside and have a little chat."

Lillian spoke again, "He will do no such—"

"Yes," James said over top of her.

"James, no. You don't have to do that. Really you—"

"Yes. Let's go outside and have a talk," James said firmly, staring down the man in front of him.