ch 4: test drive

FOUR DAYS LATER

My visa was ending today, I had to go to a game, but my head still had a slight pounding and my legs occasionally hurt when I moved the wrong way. But I had to go to a game, there wasn't another choice.

So I changed into spandex shorts and a bikini top that was blue checked with lighter blue flowers after I bathed quickly. I walked outside the room for the first time, well the first time in a while I can actually see my surroundings.

"Hey." Yuki called from the hallway behind me and motioned me to follow her.

"What's up?" I asked once I got to her and started walking with her.

"Hatter wants to take you and me with some other people to a game and see which pair figures the game out first. I think someone told him we were the game masters of our group."

"Who are the pairs?"

"You and I, Chishiya and Kuina, Aguni and Niragi, and him and Ann."

I cursed under my breath as we met them outside and we all walked to the nearest game centre. We walked into some store of store or complex, I didn't pay too much attention to my surroundings until I was steps away from the doorstep. I looked back and took note of the things close by like windows, cars, and etc.

Next thing I noticed was inside, a map of the building. I studied it before Yuki rushed me over past the border and gave me a phone just as registration closed. It was us eight and a student who never made eye contact with us.

The game was a three of clubs called Dead or Alive. We entered the first room and the timer started at two minutes.

"Okay let the test drive begin." Hatter smiled and I looked at Yuki who was glaring at him.

-

We were in the final room, but Yuki and I were stumped. It was definitely the final room because from the math we did and the map I saw before, this should be the room which leads us away from the nine identical ones we assumed there were. We got everyone through every room because they stopped questioning us after two rooms.

"It has to be this one." Yuki said in a panic, we only had 30 seconds left. She went to open the door but I grabbed her hand and stopped her.

"Just let me think for two seconds. There was no gap between buildings side to side." I sighed and looked at the dimensions of the room, they were all the same, all the rooms were identical in size. The only room I could barely see was the one the poor student went into and died in before we could announce our idea of how to leave.

"Doesn't that mean we would be in another building... like safe from this one?" Yuki panicked.

15 seconds remaining

"No it... it is this other one I just need to figure out why." I groaned and thought of that room the girl died in. The only thing that I was staring at was her dead body, somehow shocked by this outcome. But the wall behind her was bare so it was the perfect background. Bare? It had no door! I didn't explain as I hurried to the opposite door Yuki was at and opened it. Freezing afterwards but realizing I was right.

5 seconds remaining

"Fuck, go!" Kuina coughed and they all ran out and I slammed the door shut behind them, my hand getting burnt from the metal doorknob I held for too long as if the flames could open the door somehow.

"This is why you're gonna be a doctor and I'm stuck in engineering classes." Yuki panted in relief from fear and panic. I held my hand in the other and noticed the burning on my palm, not bad but still hurt like a bitch.

We gave Hatter the card and the executives started walking back to The Beach, me and Yuki stayed a few feet behind them with Kuina and Chishiya.

"Thank you for being a genius." Kuina spoke after a minute of walking.

"It was a three of clubs, there was probably an easier way since it was such a low difficulty and clubs instead of diamonds." I shrugged.

We walked in silence for a bit longer, my hand every so often brushing Chishiya's.

"Y/N." Yuki called quietly.

"Yes, Yuki?" I answered.

"Tell me something no one knows about you and I'll do the same to you."

I chuckled and looked at her. "You first."

"Okay well... the only thing people here don't know about me is I am gay. I thought I should get to know people better before I share it, most people in the real world would just ask if I liked them because apparently I like anything with a vagina since I'm a lesbian. But people definitely don't know I'm demisexual as well. I don't feel sexual attraction to anyone unless I have a strong bond with them, and even then I have very little interest in sex." She sighed and looked down with her hands in her cardigan pockets. "Your turn."

"You're valid, Yuki." I said and she looked at me. "I'm happy you told me, you trust me just like I trust you. Just fuck what other people say, they have their heads too far up their own asses to see they are conceded and idiots."

"Thank you, Y/N." She said sincerely and I smiled at her when I looked her in her eyes. I hugged her waist once and she chuckled before I let go. "Still your turn."

"I was orphaned as a child, I went to six foster families and none of them accepted me." I blurted.

"Six?" Kuina questioned.

"Yeah, longest was two years when I was 13 to 15 and shortest was two months when I was eight."

"Two months?" Yuki gasped.

"They didn't want me anymore after I offended their biological son and then he chased me with a knife until the neighbour took the knife from him. Bro had major anger issues and it showed more than that once." I chuckled remembering that day.

"Did you find a family?" Kuina asked nervously.

"Nope." I sighed. "I was always too mature, too smart, too annoying, too anything really. The family always found a reason to send me back. Eventually I called the orphanage home, the lady who ran it was more of a mother than any of them could be. She helped me get into medical school when I was 18 and then just kept helping me get jobs to pay for an apartment and food and bills. She was really nice, without her I probably would've died on the streets."

The silence grew loud until Yuki spoke minutes after my rant and right outside the gate of The Beach.

"You are my daughter now, nothing bad will happen to you with me as your adoptive mom... I promise that."