thirteen

chapter thirteen. what once was ours

trying to find a piece of me you didn't take up

Katherine would never admit to anyone but after her parents died, she never thought she could be happy again. Perhaps such a feeling was expected but nevertheless, it didn't stay for long.

She glanced at the beach house, the laughter of her cousins and her aunt mingling with the salty breeze. But her attention was drawn to Susannah, who sat on a beach towel, her hair tousled by the wind, a radiant smile on her lips. To Katherine, Susannah had always been a beacon of warmth and kindness, a mother to everyone she met, a person who made Katherine feel cherished.

"Come on, Katherine!" Susannah called, her voice carrying a playful lilt. "Join me for a swim!"

Katherine hesitated for a moment, her young heart fluttering with a mix of excitement and uncertainty. She had always been a shy child, someone who preferred observing from the sidelines rather than jumping headfirst into new experiences. But something about Susannah's encouraging smile and the carefree atmosphere of the beach tempted her.

With a determined nod, Katherine let go of her hesitations and ran towards the water. The sand gave way to cool, wet grains under her feet as she waded into the shallows. She looked back at Susannah, who was now standing waist-deep in the water, waiting for her.

"Come on, sweetie, it's not that cold!" Susannah's laughter was infectious, and Katherine couldn't help but giggle in response.

Taking a deep breath, Katherine braved the waves, feeling the water envelop her in its embrace. It was a moment of vulnerability, but also of liberation. As she reached Susannah, the older woman's arms encircled her, creating a cocoon of safety.

"See, that wasn't so bad, was it?" Susannah's voice was a comforting whisper against her ear.

Katherine shook her head, her cheeks flushed with a mixture of exhilaration and happiness. She looked up at Susannah, her young eyes finding a friend, a confidante, and a source of unconditional love.

"I like it here," Katherine admitted softly, her fingers curling into the fabric of Susannah's swimsuit.

Susannah's smile grew tender, her eyes reflecting a depth of emotion that Katherine could sense even at her young age. "I'm glad , sweetheart. This place will always be your home too, you know."

And in that moment, with the sun painting the sky in hues of gold and the sea whispering secrets to the shore, Katherine knew that she had found a place where she belonged. It was a memory etched into her heart, a reminder of the bond she shared with Susannah, a woman who had always made her feel valued, cherished, and loved.