CHAPTER 10

VEGAS

Being born and raised inside the Theerapanyakul family, Vegas sure have been through a lot. When Pete’s car left, he stood at the entrance for a couple of minutes before one of his bodyguards suggest that it would be better if he waited for Pete inside the house, where it was cozier and safer. Now, sat in one of the comfortable arm chairs that were displayed around the common area on the first floor, and with a cup full of whiskey in one of his hands, Vegas caught himself thinking about all the situations where he was left being truly nervous. About the time when he needed to hold a gun for the first time, when he killed for the first time or when he felt like, whenever was the situation he was in, was going to end up terribly wrong.  

But it didn’t matter how much he tried to remember, the first situation that came to his mind was always the same: the day when Pete fainted in his room. Vegas didn’t knew Pete that well back then. On those days, Pete was nothing but a little distraction to him, a little pet that he could do whatever he wanted to. But, at the second he entered his room and saw Pete on the floor burning with fever... that was the first time where his heart pounded hard inside his chest. The first time he felt true fear and guilt. And now... now Vegas wasn’t feeling that different from that day. Now, he saw Pete as his best friend, the person who would bring calm to every storm that he might got himself into and that person was possibly in danger and there was nothing he could do about it.

Since Pete moved in with him, Vegas always had him near his sight, always making sure that Pete was safe, happy and healthy with him. If he was being honest, he knew how much Pete missed his old bodyguard days sometimes, but, secretly, Vegas felt relieved that he didn’t worked as one anymore. That could be a selfish thing to think, he knew, but it was the truth; the simple thought of Pete being in danger or getting hurt was already enough to make Vegas feel on edge.

Now, sat in the middle of an empty room with only the tick tack sounds coming from the big clock above the main stairs, the hours, the minutes and even the seconds with Pete gone felt like eternity to him. Was he going to be insane before Pete comes back?

He took a generous sip from his drink when his cellphone rang. Kinn’s name appeared on the screen and Vegas almost forgot how to breathe.

“What.” Vegas managed to say.

“Where are you right now?” Kinn’s voice was calm, but straight forward.

Vegas felt chills on his spine as the first thought that crossed his mind was that Kinn was calling him to tell that something went wrong with Pete and Kim during the meeting with Yìchen.

“At home.” He said quickly. “What happened?”

“You remember that Pete asked Arm to search for Ha Jun’s family whereabouts, right?”

“Yes.” Vegas almost felt dizzy when a tiny wave of relief hit his chest. “He found something?”

“Well, he wasn’t able to find that much since – as we already suspected – they probably aren’t even registered as citizens. We don’t even know if his wife is actually Chinese or not.” That was true. With the heat of the moment, Vegas didn’t ask details of Ha Joon’s life before killing him. He kind of regretted of it now. “I didn’t say anything sooner because I didn’t want the focus to be out of today’s meeting, but I contacted one of my father’s old contacts inside the Chinese police and I found some things that can be linked with his family.”

“And what did he find?” Vegas asked while pouring more whiskey inside his cup.

“Four years ago, they received an anonymous complaint about an old crematory being used at night time. The current activity was scaring the neighbors that thought it could be linked with drug dealing or gangs activities. When they got there to investigate, they found something weird. First, there were enough evidence that the cremation furnaces were recently used even after the whole place was shut down a few years ago. Second, the place was registered as being property of a man that is currently on the police station missing people’s list. But what truly got their attention was the amount of human and genetic material there. Enough to believe that the whole place was being used by someone to get rid of bodies.” Vegas frowned while Kinn spoke. “Among the evidence they collected there, they found a tag partially burned. The tag belonged to the Children’s Cancer Hospital in Shanghai, where the Huàng Family Manor is located. Does that recall you of something?”