uno

Dowon sighed. He put on his shirt and wiped the excess sweat off his forehead.

This was his unteempth time he tried out to become a trainee. HYBE wasn't the company he originally wanted to join, but they had scouted him outside of the SM building, after he had been rejected right away.

They told him his dance skills sucked. Well, not exactly with those words, but that's what they meant.

But this was his dream, so... he thought he'd give it a try.

"Congratulations", he heard a couple of weeks later from the phone. "You've been selected to become a trainee for HYBE Entertainment, under BigHit music", the woman stated. "We hope to see you next monday, 8am sharp, for your introduction to the facilities".

"Oh, my god", he murmured. "Thank you, very much. You won't regret this", but by the time he had finished saying this, the phone call had already ben hung up.

Everything had felt like watching a movie, from then on. The introduction to the building, the facilities, and his introduction to the group of trainees. There was no one he'd met before, and that was kind of weird.

Usually, trainees know each other, since they all are fighting for a spot to become famous. So, usually, they know each other's strengths and weaknesses, and they don't mean friendship as far as they can cut you off the next week.

But there was this group... He wished to be a part of them. They looked so happy, joking around and pushing each other while walking, as if they were siblings. Dowon wished to be a part of them, to be a part of the so-called Mean Team.

Ara, the only woman in the group, had been the one to start kind of recruiting all the boys. It had started with Huening Kai, the day she'd been called in to dance in fron of everyone. Dowon knew she'd make it, right from the moment she stepped in front of the crowd and danced away.

Rumors said she had only made it in because of her being Park Jimin's cousin, but Dowon never thought so. She had been so gracious, and so ready to take on the challenge, that Dowon actually admired her. Ara had been strong, to spend the first couple of days only around Huening Kai, while everyone whispered behind her back and tried to sabotage her.

Dowon really admired her. She never fought back, only kept on working on being better and keeping a smile on her face. He guessed that's how every other member of her group had gravitated towards her. It was in her veins to be a sunshine.

And he really wanted to become one of them. But he couldn't. He didn't know how to approach them, how to become friendly with them, even when they seemed to be so friendly overall. Dowon had always felt different, like he didn't really belong anywhere, and that sometimes took a toll on him.

But he kept on going. Wrote away all his sufferings on a notebook, to keep for the future, for when he needed lyrics to write a song with. He'd make it. And he would never feel like he didn't belong anymore.

Then, the Mean Team debuted as Tomorrow by Together. Dowon thought he'd be cut off right then. When the groups to debut were assigned, all the trainees that didn't debut were hardly scrutinized, and many of them were let go. They'd gotten too old to debut; they would never dance or sing good enough for them to debut. So, they were gone. Mostly.

But Dowon was called in the next day. He was scared; were they calling him in to personally cut him off? He'd never heard of any companies doing so. Trainees would usually just get a phone call stating they weren't needed anymore.

"Debut?", his eyes sparkled.

"Alone", is what Bang Sihyuk said. "We are planning on making you more of an R&B artist, so it's better if you debut alone", he smiled. "How does that sound?"

"Sounds amazing, sir", he replied.

"Amazing", the man smiled again. "You remind me a lot of Yoongi when he was starting. So hardworking and never faltering... you have good things coming your way, young man". Dowon pressed his lips tightly, trying not to squeal in front of the CEO.

"Thank you for this opportunity", he smiled.

"Thank you for trusting us to help you through this", the older man replied. "I'll arrange everything. Your debut is scheduled in six months from now, before we start the survival show", he then clapped his hands. "I am excited for your future, Yun Dowon".

"Me too, sir. Me too".