Chapter 7

"There are more people here than I expected."

After class had ended for the day, Horikita and I went to the gymnasium. Nearly all of the students assembled there were freshmen. There were about a hundred people waiting around. We stood near the back of the room and waited for the fair to begin. While waiting, we glanced over the pamphlet that students received upon entering the gymnasium. The pamphlet contained detailed information about club activities.

"I wonder if this school has famous clubs. For example, something like

karate."

"Every club seems to operate on a high level. It looks like many

athletes and club members here are famous throughout the nation." Even though this school didn't seem like a top-tier institution for

activities like baseball and ballet, the clubs here certainly looked great. "These facilities are significantly more substantial than ordinary schools. Look, they even have O, chambers. The equipment here is so

luxurious, it puts the professionals' stuff to shame. Oh, but it looks like they don't have a karate club after all."

"I see."

"What? Were you interested in karate or something?" I asked. "No, not particularly."

"It seems like it'll be hard for newcomers to get into the athletic clubs," I said. "Even if a first year managed to break in, they still might just be a benchwarmer forever. I can't think that would be much fun." Everything around here seemed far too orderly.

"Wouldn't that depend on one's efforts, though? Surely by training for one or two years, anyone could get in and play."

Training, huh? I didn't think I'd be able to put in that amount of effort,

no matter how desperate I was. "I didn't realize that the concept of training even existed for someone who always avoided trouble, like you." "What exactly does me not liking trouble have to do with that?" I

asked.

"Would you agree that someone who avoids trouble also avoids unnecessary manual labor? You said it first. You should keep to your word, I think."

"I didn't really think about it that deeply."

"If you keep acting so non-committal, you're never going to be able to make any friends," she said.

"You wound me, Horikita."

"Thank you all for waiting, first-year students. We will now begin the club fair. A representative from each club will explain their function. My name is Tachibana, the student council secretary and the club fair's organizer. It's nice to meet you all."

After Tachibana delivered the opening remarks, representatives from each club quickly lined up on a stage. It was quite a diverse crowd. The club representatives included everything from burly athletes in judo uniforms to students dressed in beautiful kimonos.

"Hey, if you want to get a fresh start, why not try joining an athletic club? The judo club looks good, doesn't it? That upperclassman looks kind, and I'm sure he'd encourage you." "What do you mean 'kind"?! He looks like a gorilla! He'll kill me for

sure!" I snapped. "He'll probably talk passionately about how easy judo is."

"Cut it out!"

Sheesh. I'd thought that we were having a decent conversation, but

she'd done nothing but stick it to me.

"Even if I wanted to join, the athletic clubs all look really intimidating. I get the impression they don't accept beginners."