Chapter Two

Hurricane

It was utter embarrassment seeing the chaos happen in the cafeteria due to that stupid casino duck throwing his tantrum for absolutely no reason in front of everyone.

I tried not to think much of it. Lots of employees who worked here at S.H.O.W.S Limited were very idiotic and didn't know how to be nice.

Every so often I would get a glimpse of that piano robot. For some reason, he was almost flawless. I could never get enough of those piano keys that resembled teeth, or those classy black shades, or that black and red vinyl record sitting atop his yellow hat.

I didn't know what this feeling was, but he was like nobody else I imagined. Even then, I didn't want to admit anything. This feeling towards someone I barely knew was definitely not normal. I had to convince myself it was nothing.

"For the love of Show, can you shut the hell up, man?!" someone in line for my pizza concession yelled at the casino duck on the floor. "You just caused a huge mess in here! Who do you think will clean up this crap?! Pathetic piece of garbage."

"You clearly don't underthtand that thith ith a huge problem!" the casino duck shouted at him. "My friend here ith... ith..."

"What?! Whatever the issue is, that doesn't excuse the whole mess you created in this cafeteria and how much you're embarrassing yourself with your dumb tantrum right now." the person snapped back.

I couldn't just stand by and watch this happen. While the rude customer did have a point on the embarrassment part, he shouldn't have yelled at him instantly otherwise. I was disappointed with the fact that S.H.O.W.S Limited employees were this callous and abrasive towards new employees and wouldn't give them a break.

I sighed. "Hey, there's no need for a quarrel at the moment. I'll just inform the janitor real quick. After all, cleanup will only happen after lunch break is over and everyone's gone back to work."

With that, I left my station and headed out the back door of the concession. Once I entered the actual cafeteria to head to the janitor's office nearby, the piano robot stopped me in my tracks. He stared down at me with an awkward smile.

"Uh... hey, baby." he stated sheepishly.

I rolled my eyes at him. "What do you want, piano dude? And did you just call me 'baby?'"

"The name's Dave Brubot, darling." he told me confidently. "And yes, I did, because I just want to say, you're looking quite fine this afternoon."

I tried my best to look uninterested. While I didn't have time to talk with this Dave Brubot guy, his flirting put me in a spot where I wanted to get to know him more.

I didn't want to admit that, though.

"Nice try... Dave Brubot. You know, I'm really busy with the lunch customers in line at my pizza concession area, and now, I have to inform the janitor about the mess your dumb little friend made. So yeah, that's extra work for me now. With that in mind, I'd appreciate it if you get out of my way so I can get back to work."

I expected him to resist my offer, but to my surprise, he seemed quite offended by my request. Really offended in fact, that he stepped back from me a little.

"You really had to call my best friend dumb, didn't you...?" he questioned quietly. "I don't appreciate that."

His words felt painful to hear. I started feeling a little guilty. "No, I didn't mean-"

"Regardless, if you say so, darling... I must not disrupt you from your work. Carry on as you wish..."

He then turned away from me, and I felt the guilt wash over me some more. I never knew my words could hurt someone instantly, let alone something harmless I had stated.