Chapter two- an explanation.

The pounding in her head awoke the girl first, for the second time that day she was confused by her surroundings, this time she seemed to be in somesort of room, it had many beds made of wooden logs, it was dimly lit by gaps between the poorly built ceiling. As she continued to turn her head someone from the corner of the room noticed the conscious girl, he stood up in a hurry and ran out through the door. The girl tried to sit up, but something held her wrists and ankles down. They had shackled her! She though it stupid of them considering how weak they had thought of her when she had made a run for it. In frustration she slammed her head back down into the bed, that was a bad idea, it just increased the pain of her headache.

After what felt like forever, the boy she had seen leave finally came back with another boy, although he seemed older than the first.
He walked over to where the girl was laying and chuckled lightly, "I trust you wont try to run away this time?" Sheepishly, the girl shook her head. As the boy untied the shackles, he introduced himself as Alby, he told the girl that he was in charge of all of the boys here, he then invited her to walk around with him.
Alby was tall, and seemed a giant compared to the lack of height that the girl had. He had kike features, with warm eyes and a kind smile.

Walking towards a tall structure, Alby explained everything to the girl. "This is the Glade, and we are the Gladers, we live, sleep, and work here, we work as a team here, and we have only got three rules that we go by. One: never go outside those walls, unless you're a Runner, its dangerous. Two: never hurt another glader, we have to maintain trust here. And three: everyone does their part, we dont allow slackers."
The girl could not understand it all so easily, so she started asking. "Why are we here? Who put us here? Whats outside those walls? Why can we not go outside them? What are runners? And why should I trust-"
"Just trust me. Ive been here for three years okay? Like I said a minute ago, we must have trust here."
"Alby! Greenie!" That familiar voice again, it came from a boy, around a head taller than the girl, he had dirty blonde hair that flew around in the wind, and soft, kind eyes.
"Right Greenie, this is Newt, he's in charge when i'm not around."
"Guess your name hasnt come back then? Guess Greenie will do for a little while," Newt exclaimed.
As Newt and Alby continued their conversation, the girl whispered something softly, both Alby and Newt turned to look at her; "what was that greenbean?" Alby questioned,
"Alyssa. It's Alyssa."
"Well its bloody nice to meet you Alyssa!" Newt chuckled to the girl, "HEY BOYS!" he then called out to the other gladers, "shes got a name! Alyssa!"
Cheers from all around the glade rung out, some chanting the girls name, some just cheering for the fun of it.
"Right Newt, go find Chuck for me." Patting Alby on the back, Newt walked off to find 'Chuck'.

As Alby and Alyssa got to the tower, Alby lightly joked "Hope you're not afraid of heights gre- Alyssa, Chuck clunked himself when he went up!" As the pair climbed the ladder, the girl took in how big the glade actually was, stretching over 100 metres both sides, she realised that this tower was central to the feild. On each of the four walls there stood doors that extended all the way to the top, which was high considering each wall stretched at least 200feet.
As they reached the top of the tower, Alyssa felt she had to ask one more question, she turned to Alby and huffed; "Why are we here Alby?"
"None of us know, some of us shuckheads have been here for three-ish years, some for no more than a few months, after a couple weeks you get used to it, you'll be assigned a job: a builder, a cook, a slicer, a med-jack, or a runner. Doesnt matter what job you land, s'long as your good at it and you work hard."

"Hey Alby!" A young voice, no older than 14 called up from the groud, "Newt said you wanted me?"
Alby chuckled lightly, "Hey Chuck, i'll be down with the greenie in a minute!" He then turned to Alyssa, "you'll get used to it in a week or so Greenie, goodluck."