Sick Day (Upstead)

(Set in Season 6)

It was a Monday morning. Hailey Upton woke up to her alarm going off for work. When she first woke up she noticed she had a funny feeling in her throat. Chalking it up to the fact that she breathes through her mouth when she sleeps really deep, she goes about her morning getting ready for work. After she gets out of the shower, she also notices she's really cold, like colder than normal for it being spring time. She gets dressed putting on some extra layers, even though it's warmer outside than it has been the past couple of days. 

The team had gone out to Molly's the night before, which Hailey thought was a mistake, and they had a lot to drink but also had a lot of fun. So when Hailey started getting a headache on top of her throat feeling funny she thought it was just a hangover and continued with making her coffee for the day. While the coffee was brewing, she heard her phone buzz and went to check it. It was Jay asking if she wanted a ride to work. She agreed because she honestly didn't feel up to driving. He texted back that he'll be there in about 20 minutes. She texts back a reply and continues with her morning routine and pouring a cup of coffee for Jay as a thank you for driving her. 15 minutes later Jay texts her that he was outside. She puts on her shoes and jacket, grabs her stuff and the coffees, and heads out the door. 

"Good morning" Jay says as Hailey gets in his truck

 "If it was a good morning than we wouldn't be going to work and I could still be asleep" she says putting her seat belt on 

"Good point, last night might not have been the best idea on our part" Jay says 

"To be fair it was Ruzek who started it, but yeah we all still did agree" she says, clearing her throat 

"Are you ok?" Jay asks

"Yeah all good, here" she says handing Jay his coffee

"Thanks" he says and they head off to the district. 

On the way to the district, Jay notices that Hailey is really quiet. She's usually the one starting the conversations when they ride together, but today nothing "Hey, you sure you're ok, you're very quiet" he says concerned "Yeah, just tired. Might be a little hungover, I have some Tylenol in my desk" she says laying her head against the window "Ok, well if you need anything I'm here" Jay said "Thanks" she smiled as they pulled into the district. 

As they walk into the district they are greeted by their silvered hair desk sergeant "Morning Chuckles, Goldilocks" Trudy says greeting the two detectives and they both give a 'Good morning Sarge' with a wave back. "Hey you ok, Mouch says you guys had quite the time last night and you look like it" Trudy says, noticing Hailey looks run down "I'm fine, just need the coffee to kick in" Hailey says with a small smile making her way upstairs with Jay in tow. 

The first thing she sees when gets to the top of the stairs is Adam with his head on his arms on his desk groaning "So Ruzek, still think last night was a good idea?" Jay asks patting the officer on the back "Don't talk, too loud" is all he says in response and both him and Hailey laugh. The two detectives go put their stuff at their desks leaving Adam to be Adam. Hailey pops two Tylenol with her coffee in tow and walks over and gives some to Adam "You're a freaking saint" he says as he eagerly takes the meds with some water at his desk. 

Pretty soon Kevin, Kim, Antonio and Voight make their way into the bullpen. 

"Listen up, we got a new case. Robbery with a possible kidnapping. Kevin? " Voight says signaling Kevin to give out the rest of the information