Chapter 1: Every Day Starts With Breakfast...

Rat-rat-tat.

"Ah, no, just five more minutes?"

Rat-a-tat-tat. The knocking sounded more insistent.

"Please?"

RAT-TAT-TAT.

"I'm up, I'm up!"

She opened her eyes, rubbing them sleepily, & yawned. She'd been up quite late, reading deep into the night. The latest novel from her favorite series, Mission Adventure, was tucked safely under the bed. Of course, it wasn't the actual latest. She wasn't exactly sure what number they were on now, but it certainly wasn't number nine. Oh, how she wished she could read all of them, but certainly she couldn't because Madame-

RAT-TAT-TAT.

"Coming!" She leaped out of bed & got dressed quickly. Then, she took her compass out & asked, "What is the quickest way to the Breakfast Room?" It spun around three times before pointing to her bedroom door. She ran out, right into a room made of-

"Bubbles?" She shook her head, and kept going, the bubbles quite bouncy under her feet. She glanced at the compass. It was pointing to the side. She swerved her head just in time for a door to materialize there. She sprinted through it, just as it disappeared again. Her chest heaved. When she looked around, she was in a long corridor filled with doors, each more bizarre than the last, with a sticky note. She sighed with relief. She was right where she needed to be. She squinted at the sticky note on the door she'd just shut.

"Hmm..." She mumbled "'Room of bubbles,' eh? I'll keep you in mind." Then she remembered where she was going. With a quick glance at the compass, she sprinted down the corridor. Her heart thumped. She hoped she wouldn't be late. Madame had already warned her. Usually, she was quite nice & sweet, but even she had a limit.

Suddenly, the arrow pointed left. "Yes!" She backtracked until she reached the door decorated ornately with breakfast items. Sure enough, the sticky read,

Name: Breakfast Room

Note: Used only for breakfast

She sighed with relief. She'd just made it. Composing herself quickly, she opened the door...

* * *

She came in, chin up, small smile, ready to serve, Just like Mrs. Pottleshot, her instructor, taught her. Madame was already there sitting elegantly. She was dressed in a simple emerald dress with a pearl necklace & bracelets. She was quite lean, so the dress seemed a tad too big, yet the shimmery material made it hard to tell. It put her own clothes to shame, a periwinkle blouse & a knee-length skirt. Silly me. I thought. This is the uniform. I obviously can't wear anything else!

"Why, bonjour!" She greeted me with a sunny smile. "Could you grab my breakfast from the counter?" I nodded. "Yes, Madame." I walked past the tables to the counter where they served breakfast. The boy at the counter wore periwinkle pants with a buttoned shirt, neatly ironed & spotless.

"You're a little late," he muttered quietly. "She asked me where you'd been." He winked. Then I realized it was Burton Feriskie. "Burt!" I sighed with relief. He chuckled. "You didn't recognize me? You must've stayed up late!" I couldn't help but smile. "I'll explain later. Just come to the 'Room of Bubbles' at eleven."

"Sure thing." He handed me a plate of waffles. "See you." Burt was one of my closest friends. We both stayed here overnight unlike most of the people who worked here. His room wasn't very far away from mine, & we both had each other's schedule memorized so we could drop a time & a room & meet up in secret anywhere. I walked back to Madame who was elegantly reclining against her chair. "Here you go, Madame."

"Oh, merci, chérie!" She said as I set the waffles in front of her and drizzled on some honey. If I'd had any doubt that there was a way to eat waffles while looking calm & regal, it evaporated as soon as I watched Madame eat hers. Once she'd finished, she dabbed her mouth with a napkin & said, "So, I understand you were a bit, ah, en retard?"

"Yes, Madame." I looked down. "No no, keep your head up. A jeune fille mustn't do that." she chided, her eyes twinkling. "I also understand you are interested in that book series, oui? I suppose it's time for you to read the next book." I looked up, amazed. "Madame, Thank you! Merci, merci!" She smiled. "Votre bienvenu. Now, here's your list." I took the green paper from her. "Yes, Madame. Thank you."

"Please, call me with my full name."

"Yes Madame. Yes, Madame Loobang."

(I know it's short, I'm sorry... :( I'll make the next one longer. Again, THANKS FOR READING!!!)