Chapter 2: ...And Ends With A Nightmare

"She let you?"

We were in the bubble room, bouncing around as we talked. "Yes, Burt, for the millionth time!" His eyes twinkled. "That's amazing. I can't believe she gave you the next book! Are you sure she didn't say, 'Oh, put this book in the... library.'" I rolled my eyes. "Burt." "Ok, ok!" he laughed. "But still. You are so sharing." Abruptly I froze. You are so sharing. The memory enveloped me like a weighted blanket, urging me to

Just.

Fall.

Asleep.

(Flashback)

It was my birthday.

My last celebrated birthday with my family.

My kind mom, my funny dad, my bossy but caring big brother, and my twin little sisters, doubly naughty. And, oh, Fluffindor, our Corgi! The party was over, and I'd just said goodbye to my friend Macy. My mom turned towards me and asked, "Ready?" I scoffed. "Why would I not be?" One of my sisters, Lilly, waddled up to me and hugged my legs, drooling all over them. "Gah." I didn't mind. Lilly liked me best, but Lilliana, her twin, was an all-around lover. I picked her up and pretended to fly her around the room. "Vroom! Vroom!" She giggled. "Voom, Voom! Aewopwane! Neow!" I loved making her laugh. Her cute face smiling with drool gushing out of her mouth was the cutest thing I'd ever seen.

When I tried to set her down, she licked me sloppily on the cheek. "Hey!" I wiped off the baby drool and started towards my presents. I picked one up. It had an orange wrapper and the tag read, "From the Twins?" The entire family I loved around me laughed.

My mom grinned biggest, her eyes shining with love, and said, "Yes, Pumpkin. Now open it!" I tore open the wrapper. Inside was a scribbly crayon-adorned card completely drenched with drool. Everyone laughed as I pulled it out. I scooped them both up in a hug. "Thank you!" My brother Levi pointed to a green one and said "That's mine."

"Then that's where I'm going next." Inside were the next three books from Mission Adventure. I gasped, then hugged my brother as tight as I could, which was Boa Constrictor strong. When I released him he smiled weakly and massaged his sides. My dad whisper-shouted "This one next, Lay-Lay." We all laughed again. Dramatically, I announced I would open that one. And on it went. Laughing until our tummies hurt, I reached the last one.

Inside was a drone. My brother loved robotics. "You are so sharing." He said enviously. "We'll see, Monkey-Man." (That was a villain in Mission Adventure.) We ate Chinese take-out noodles and stir fry (My fav.) and cracked as many jokes as we could manage, or should I say yolks. One big, happy family.

Everything was great until Liliana started crying. She was in the living room, specially designed by my mother. "Aww, are my jokes that bad?" You can probably guess who said that. (Hint hint: My dad.) We ran to the living room. My mom picked her up and patted her back. "It's alright, sweety." Then I realized what was in her hand. She looked at me with wide, adorable eyes.

The last thing I'd see.

The timer read 3... 2... 1...

Then, the house exploded.

* * *

When I woke up, I was lying on a mattress. My vision was blurry. As my sight came into focus, I saw a face loom over me.

It was a very bumpy mattress.

"Burt?" I started to sit up. Burt tried to retreat, but I got up too fast. Our heads bonked together. "Ow. Uh, Lay? You ok?" When I didn't respond he said in a more commanding voice, "Lamech Anderson, can you hear me." I sat up fully and muttered, "Yes sir."

"Come on."

"Mom. Dad. Levi. Liliana. Lilly."

He was quiet for a count of ten. "Come on. Get up." With his help, I got up. "Do you want to talk about it?" I took a shaky breath. "No. I- I think I'll go now." He didn't seem to want to let me go, but he didn't say anything. "Night."

I left him there, bobbing up and down from the ripples that spread out as I walked out, trying as hard as I could to not run. As soon as I was out of his sight, I brushed a tear from my cheek and ran. I ran, and ran, and ran, wishing I could run from my past just as easily. 

(A/N: I know it's a little sad, I'm sorry. Also, I did update the first chapter, but the updates are quite small so if you don't feel like reading it again, I'm fine with that, ;) BTW, the text in side the ()'s that aren't labeled 'A/N' and aren't bold is the character. Now this, this is me, and NOT part of the initial story. Just wanted to make that clear. Thanks for reading!)