Chapter 2

On the agreed evening, the two friends meet in the illuminated enormous garden for the occasion. They approach the party from which classical music is emanating. Long buffet tables are set up. Women in colorful dresses and men in evening suits stroll through the garden, chatting with glasses in hand. Household employees in uniforms offer trays of appetizers and drinks. One of the employees approaches Lisa and whispers something in her ear. She listens to her attentively and thanks her. Suddenly, a very elegant lady in a red dress calls for Lisa. She walks away in her company, leaving Émilie alone.

She doesn't really feel like she belongs in the midst of all these wealthy people. She looks around, feeling uneasy. She sees men casting admiring glances at her and ladies discreetly looking at her little discounted dress. Émilie takes a glass and walks among groups of guests who are conversing. Suddenly, she hears a different tune, seeming to come from somewhere else. She walks slowly toward the beautiful music that soothes her anger and frustration as she approaches. She finds herself walking towards the white castle that stands out against the dark forest behind it like a fairy tale castle. She's surprised at the speed and confidence of her own steps. Arriving in front of the massive white door, she now clearly hears the magnificent melody coming from inside. She effortlessly opens the door and finds herself in a huge vestibule drowned in darkness. Suddenly, light escapes from a partially open door from which the music seems to emanate, now very distinct. Émilie heads towards the light and enters a room with a black and white checkered marble floor. The tall windows are covered with long white tulle curtains, all drawn. In the middle of the room, a grand white piano stands, and behind it, Émilie finally sees the pianist. He's a tall man in his mid-thirties, with long brown hair and features that range from regular to stern. He furrows his black brows in the rising emotion of the music. He lifts his eyes and gazes at Émilie for a moment while continuing to play this Beethoven sonata that rages before coming to an end. When the music stops, Émilie catches her breath for a second and then applauds. A smile illuminates the pianist's face. She apologizes for disturbing him, but he seems pleased with her intrusion. Vincent turns out to be the music teacher of little Valentina, the daughter of the master of the house, Théodore Costine. He admits to feeling somewhat uncomfortable in the high society parties organized in the castle. She confesses that she also doesn't feel comfortable at these kinds of parties but that she's there to escape from her life that has become a hell. Émilie is surprised by how easily she confides in this stranger. She felt a strong urge to do so. She tells him about Nicolas' betrayal and how she suddenly finds herself with no idea of what she wants from life. For his part, Vincent admits to being a solitary being and that his closest friend is his student Valentina. Despite being a wonderful pianist, he believes he's destined to live in the shadow as an artist.

The two young people get along very well. They even seem to quickly become close. But suddenly, a woman's voice resonates in the castle. She calls Émilie by her name. Émilie doesn't understand because no one knows her at this party except for Lisa. She leaves the room asking who it is. In the dark hall, she sees a slightly ajar door. The voice calls her again. It seems to come from behind that door. Émilie approaches the door and pushes it. Suddenly, she finds herself face to face with an old lady in a 1920s evening dress, her heavy diamond jewelry gleaming in the darkness. The old lady raises her index finger towards Émilie and shouts, 'Never come back again.' Émilie is terrified, rushes to the castle's entrance, and runs out. She awkwardly runs on the grass towards the party in her heels.

She hears a woman calling her again, she doesn't turn around, and suddenly, someone grabs her arm. She stumbles in fright, but it's only Lisa. She's still with the lady in the red dress. Lisa introduces her to her: her name is Nadia, and she's Mr. Costine's assistant. Nadia says that Mr. Théodore Costine needs a tutor for his five-year-old daughter, Valentina. She asks Émilie to come tomorrow if she's interested in the job.

Later, as they walk back together, Lisa encourages Émilie to take the job. She tells her it's an opportunity for her to get a well-paying new job and to live in this beautiful castle. She adds that it's still better than sleeping on her couch.

That night, Émilie dreams that she's again in Théodore Costine's castle and hears the same piano tune that Vincent was playing. She's in front of the music room. A tall man stands behind her, leans over her neck, and kisses her. She turns around, but it's dark, and she can't see his face. Suddenly, she hears a growl to her right, she turns her head and sees the same old lady who had chased her from the castle, but this time, she has long fangs protruding from her mouth. The flesh of her face decomposes and falls away, revealing the bones of her skull. The creature aggressively screams, aiming for Émilie, but no voice comes out of her frightening mouth. Émilie wakes up with a start. She realizes with relief that she's on Lisa's couch.