13

sebastian's pov
I felt my heart lodged in my throat.

Ever since the day of the incident, unnerving silence filled the house. The door to my room felt like an evil portal into a dimension of shame; otherwise known as upstairs.

For the past days my bed had been my life. The ceiling was the highlight of my day as I gazed at the wood paneling until the sun decided to hide. Occasionally I'd hear a concerned knock at the portal of doom, but I didn't let the outside get to me. It wasn't safe. It would ridicule me and I wasn't going to let that happen.

Sam had been worried about me. The chiming of my phone had now become bothersome compared to my past self practically diving for it any chance I heard a ding. But, that was when she was around.

I wonder how she's doing anyway. The day she stormed out of my room Sam had warned me to go after her- but that plan felt like a ploy of defeat. I was too late. I was too scared. I was planning to live in my room forever, that was until these noisy outsiders held a convention in my room, unannounced.

Sam, Haley, and Abigail showed up this morning, mind you I was still asleep, so it was a not-so-pleasant surprise to see them snooping around my room when my adored slumber decided to ditch me.

"What in Yoba's name are you guys doing?" My scraggly voice hissed, it has been so long since I had spoken that it almost seemed foreign to me, like I was a toddler just developing.

They all jumped, and paused what they were doing. Haley was organizing the mound of clothes that had piled up, but she wasn't even half way, Sam was slowly turning away from my computer to face me, and Abi had pulled all my comics out from the bookshelf and had them messily laid out on my table, reading the fifth volume of one of my manga series. Just great. My peace had been disturbed.

"Hey, buddy! Fancy seeing you here..." Sam awkwardly chuckled, trying to nonchalantly close out the tabs on my computer. The buttons of my keyboard clattered rapidly before he stepped away.

A heaving sigh left my lips as I stared at the three shocked people in front of me. However, I had to admit, I missed seeing them. A lot. Even Haley who I hadn't been too fond of in the past. They felt so familiar and comforting. I bit my lip to suppress the underlying smile that wanted to peek out.

I can't trust the outside.

"What do you guys want, anyway?" I sharply asked, forcing myself to sit up. I immediately felt dizzy, grasping the bed frame for support. Maybe isolating myself strictly to my bed wasn't the brightest idea.

"We are getting you out of this... smelly teenage hellhole," Haley demanded, stomping towards me. She gripped my bed sheets and tossed them off of me, but she regretted it instantly.

"EW! PUT SOME PANTS ON!"

"..."

"It's not like I'm completely naked, I have boxers on, ya'know?"

Abigail and Sam were the first to burst out laughing. Haley behind her shielded eyes slowly eased into a snicker. I myself couldn't help but join the fun as well, with an exhale of emotion, and a slight smile.

That tiny bit of joy that forced out of me felt so unbelievably relieving. The happiness that had been barricaded inside of me had shifted, the gears started to turn. I felt myself slowly functioning again.

"Seb, all we're saying is that we miss you, man," Sam said, approaching the bed and setting his hand on my shoulder. He slapped down with force, his grip tight on me as if I would disappear again if he let go. "And, we're not the only one's to miss you."

I caught his gaze, it was serious. Sapphire eyes hard and stern, furry eyebrows turned down in determination. He squeezed my shoulder tightly before letting go.

I didn't know what he meant, though. Who else would miss me other than my friends? My mom? Or my sister, maybe? Although she probably liked sucking up the attention from my parents while I was away. Who?

Is it...

"Is it her?"

They all cut eye contact and looked amongst themselves, as if to confirm my answer, before returning their vision back to mine.

"Mae misses you. Get her back, bud."