Chapter 2

"I also lost my parents. I was young, too young to live on my own, so I was taken in by my uncle and his family. I was lost, confused, sad, and angry. Everyone said I was lucky not to have died with them. I never felt lucky; why did I survive and not my parents? Why should I feel thankful for that? I missed my parents horribly, especially my mom. No matter how busy she was, she always made time for me.

My uncle and his family tried to help me fit in, they were kind, but they were not my parents. I was in trouble constantly; I was always lashing out, yet, they never corrected me. Telling me I would get over it soon; it was a blessing they died quickly and together. But what about me?   I wanted to be with them, so I began cutting myself, hoping to join my parents.

Finally, one day in the hospital, it was just my uncle and me. Wei Ying, I finally understand the pain you are going through, and I'm sorry I didn't recognize it sooner.  He grabbed my hand and looked me in the eye. I will tell you something someone told me long ago when I lost my parents.  

"If I wanted to truly honor my parents and help them not to be sad and worry about me in the spirit world, I had to become someone they would be proud of.  I had to live a life of happiness and love. Even if disappointment came to me, I could talk to them with my heart, which would help ease my pain. If I was happy in life, my parents could move on, knowing I would be alright and we could meet again in the afterworld with joy."

"From that day forward, I have always tried to find joy in my life. To live the life my parents would have wanted for me.  I don't want them to worry for me, and I want to meet them in the afterlife with happiness and love in my heart and with you by my side always.

Lan Zhan was shocked and hurt, "Why did you never share this with me? Am I too pathetic to share your thoughts with?"

Anger flashed in those silver eyes, and sparks flew out as he grabbed Lan Zhan hard.

"Look at me!!" when Lan Zhan refused, he shook him even harder. Then with a soft plea in his voice, "Please, Lan Zhan, look at me."

When teary amber eyes looked into teary silver eyes, Wei Ying embraced him with all his strength.

"Listen, my love; I need you to listen to me truly," whispers Wei Ying against Lan Zhan's ear.  Lan Zhan nods his head and then lays his head on Wei Ying's shoulder.

"My love, you were so fragile and broken; how could I add to your sorrow by telling you about my own loss? It would not have been helpful at the time, I felt."

Lan Zhan pulls back and looks deep into his lover's eyes, "But it would have, don't you see?  To have shared grief would have helped, and maybe I would have moved on sooner."

"What?" gasps Wei Ying. 

"As you tried to help me with my grief, I could have helped you with yours.  Yes, I was fragile and broken, I am fragile still, but you are my life now. Please let me share fully your happiness and sorrows. Isn't that what partners do?"  says Lan Zhan.

Wei Ying crashed his lips against Lan Zhan and held on for dear life.  They finally separated and wiped each other's tears away.  " I love you so much, Lan Zhan; I will never again assume your feelings or thoughts."

Lan Zhan smiles softly, "I think I can finally move on, especially with you by my side. So what do we do now, my love, my life?"

"Do? We live, my love. We live the life we want and make our parents proud." smiles Wei Ying.

They kissed long and deep, telling each other how much they meant to each other through their kisses.  Lan Zhan holds Wei Ying and whispers to him, "So we shall, we will share a long and happy life together, always together."

They decided to travel the world and learn more about their craft and each other: no timetable, no commitments, no rules.  It was a time of exploration of themselves, each other, and the world, and they couldn't be happier. The singing of glass brought them together, and the singing of glass kept them together. It lived in their souls, heart, and mind, and they didn't want it any other way.

Lan Zhan was no longer so fragile, and he became stronger through the love of his soulmate and the promise to himself to make his mother happy and proud of him so that she could move on to a better place in the spirit world where he would see her again.