Chapter Seventeen

"I've got our tickets and boarding passes, Miss Summers. And all your equipment is being safely held in the hold."

"I hope our luggage doesn't go missing," I said, lightly, but I kept my small camera and my portfolio in my hand luggage anyway so I wasn't too concerned. As we approached the entrance I saw Curt and Bret stood waiting and they waved. Ed glanced at me a little nervously.

"They might not want me tagging along too Miss Summers."

"Tough, you're my assistant. And I want you there with me." He gave me a weak smile and then followed me as we approached the others.

"Morning Angelina," said Curt. "And Ed?"

"Yessir, it's Ed," he said, looking beyond pleased that Curt had remembered his name.

"Ed is going to join us," I said, but neither Bret or Curt seemed concerned by this and just smiled at him. Ed fell into step with Curt and they were soon chatting about sports, while Bret suddenly reached across and took my bag from me.

"You got a body in here?" he asked as he shifted it to his shoulder with his own bag. I smiled, going to take it back but he moved away from me.

"No, it's just my camera and portfolio. I don't carry much else. You don't have to carry it for me, Bret."

"I know. I want to," he said, giving me a smile. I smiled back a little shyly and tucked my hair behind my ear. "It's kinda nice being able to do things for you again. I have really missed you, Angel."

"I've missed you too," I said, softly. "I'm sorry I never got in touch. I thought you were married."

"I was gonna ask you about that. Who told you I was married?"

"It was while I was in Iraq. I got a call from Dotty. It was kind of a broken signal but she said your name and I heard her say married. I guess I just assumed..."

"Shouldn't have assumed," he said, but he grinned as he said it.

"I wish I hadn't," I said, quietly. "Maybe if I hadn't then I'd have been in touch." His face fell a little and he sighed.

"You're here now," he said and I smiled.

"Yes I am."

"Angel do you think we could... could we try again?" he asked tentatively. I looked at him for a moment.

"I don't know Bret. I don't want us to just jump back into bed together. I mean it's a been a long time, there's a lot of water gone under the bridge and we're different people now. There's a lot you don't know about me and I'm sure there's a lot I don't know about you."

"I wasn't thinking of us jumping into bed together... I mean I would Angel, you know I would... But I'd like to get to know you again. We could, I don't know, maybe date?"

"You want to take me on a date?" I asked and he smiled.

"Sure, why not? We could pretend we've just met. Start completely new."

"I'd like that," I said, a little shyly and he smiled, suddenly reaching across and taking my hand. And I didn't object because for so long I'd wanted to be with him again and now I had the chance. I really wanted that chance with every fibre of my being.

"If you two are done being lovebirds over there I was promised decent food at the airport," Curt called across. I blushed and Bret squeezed my hand, laughing.

"This way," I said, leading the way to a food cart which did amazing pasta dishes in trays. Curt ordered three much to my amusement and we found some chairs to sit and eat.