Chapter 5

After the Alpha's departure, Fleur fled to her room in a failed attempt to settle her nerves by reading. Really she ought to have known that this desperate attempt to brush aside earlier events would be pointless. As soon as she thought she was in a comfortable position, intrusive thoughts would budge into her mind, and she would feel the need to shift around again.

Fleur had now found herself lying on her back, staring up at the wooden ceiling of her bedroom. Golden locks flared out on the carpet as cerulean eyes pinched together tightly. If Fleur had been asked last night where she saw her future going, she would have guessed that she would have moved back to the human settlement as soon as she finished High School to attend College there.

She would have wanted to study liberal arts to try a little bit of everything. She would have met a decent human man, someone calm and studious. Maybe even someone who saw their future in academia.

Her biggest dream was to go on a bookshop date. The romanticized idea of a relationship she had in her head was spending days reading and learning together.

Truly everything she dreamed of happening was, to its core, mundane. She probably would have come back to the pack now and then to see her mom, but she had always imagined her future to be amongst other humans.

All of a sudden, all those plans and presupposed ideas came crashing down. She studied werewolves and their pack structures before the move to Bennington.

Always overly prepared, she didn't want to risk being ostracized by the pack for any knowledge she was missing out on because of her human education. She knew the significance that an Alpha carried in the pack.

Although Fleur had never been largely interested in any form of celebrity culture, especially not the werewolf kind, she was also a teenager. She would be lying if she said she hadn't heard the Deveraux name before.

For all the fuss that was made about Theo, as she had been told to call him, seemed calm, but there seemed to be an ever-calculated presence about him. His eyes were intimidating and arcane; his gaze seemed ten steps ahead just as he was following conversation.

She also knew of the lives the Deveraux's lived; she had seen pictures of the private jets, the yachts, and the holiday houses. The countless events and balls they attended. She knew they were a tight nit family pack whose ancestry could be traced back to the first wolf men. They were a family steeped in tradition and burdened with history. Fleur just wasn't sure what her part in all of this would be.

Tears of frustration started tingling in her eyes, and she could feel her throat closing.

With a frustrated sigh, Fleur whipped the few stray tears from her cheek and sat up with a huff of annoyance. Hadn't she already cried enough today? And what the hell does someone wear to dinner with their supposed mate?

Trudging over to her closet, she stared at it blankly at the clothes before her. Fleur wasn't much of a fashion girl; she enjoyed wide pants and cozy sweaters. However, she had never been on a date before and was unsure as to how formal this dinner was anyway. She sporadically pulled out a few items of clothing before putting them back into her wardrobe, not feeling inspired by any of them.

She and her mom were roughly the same size, so maybe she had something that Fleur would be able to borrow later. After a couple of minutes, it was clear that this wasn't going anywhere so Fleur tumbled back to her bed in exhaustion. Maybe a nap would help clear her mind.

=====================================================================

Theo wasn't exactly surprised to open the door to his office in the pack house and find his nephew Johnny sitting behind his desk with a shit-eating grin on his face. The heavy scent of oak and cigars hit him as soon as he moved into the room.