Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Fleur had expected Noor to take her somewhere off campus. But to her surprise, she found herself in a small music practice room at the far end of the vast school building. A brown wooden piano in one corner looked like it had already seen its best days. Besides that, a musty green sofa was pushed into the other corner, and a small table was in the center of the room. A stale smell warped around the room and clung to furniture; Fleur was sure that Noor was the only person who had come here in years.

"You've probably noticed that wolves don't like to sit still for very long, so they don't tend to use any of the practice rooms often." Noor had made her way to the sofa and plopped herself down, kicking her feet up on the table.

"Yes, I've noticed," Fleur replied quietly, making her way over to the sofa before sitting down on the floor in front of it and getting her algebra work out of her bag. She had wanted to finish it after coming home last night, but she had been too exhausted. Before she could even run through all the events of the previous evening, she had fallen straight into a dreamless sleep.

Math was by far her least favorite subject. She wasn't necessarily bad at it, but she definitely needed to spend the most time on it.

"So tell me, Fleur – is it okay if I call you Fleur – what do you think of Bennington so far?" Noor's voice filled her ears, and Fleur turned to face her. The girl had now spread to lay on her back and was flicking through what looked like the book they were discussing in English class.

Fleur didn't know how to answer. How did this girl feel about the wolves? Why was a witch even on wolf territory?

She also felt like everyone had been asking her that lately. How she liked Bennington. What they wanted to know was what she thought about the Alpha, but frankly, she had known him for less than 48 hours, so the pack members probably knew a lot more about him at this point in time than she did.

"Actually, don't answer that," Noor cut her off before she could get a reply out. "Anyone with half a brain cell can see that this is overwhelming for you."

Fleur wasn't surprised that she wasn't very good at hiding her emotions and was often told by her old classmates that she was too sensitive. Noor was also a witch, so who knew, maybe she could read her mind? Or was she just perceptive?

"You know the wolves and their mates, they think that's the be-all and end-all." There was almost a scoff in Noor's smoky voice. "They think that the blessing of their moon goddess is the most important thing for a pairing. But they fail to realize that the moon goddess is of the moon, which means that all pairings that are blessed by light and nature are outside of her control. Do you understand what I'm trying to say?"

Fleur wasn't really sure what point Noor was trying to make. She knew that some wolves were profoundly religious and took the blessings of the moon goddess incredibly serious. But she hadn't ever considered how the religious ideologies of different species would affect her view on her mating. But then, she hadn't even seen her mating from a human perspective.

"Yeah, I think I understand.. Uhm, I think I'll just do my homework before the next bell rings." She didn't want to be rude, but she needed to finish this. While she was grateful to Noor for getting her away from the pack for a while, the last thing she needed was to fall behind now.

And so the two girls fell into a comfortable rhythm over the next thirty minutes. Fleur was perched over, trying to understand the numbers swimming on the page in front of her, and Noor was stretched out on the sofa behind her, reading her book for English. Occasionally, she would interrupt Fleurs' focus and start ranting about something in her English book. According to her, it was shocking that they were still forcing them to read 'male-centric archaic narratives.'