Chapter 8

Chapter 8

"What are you reading my Luna?"

The Alpha's low timber voice filled the car prompting Fleur to look up at him. His eyes stayed on the road but he was a predator and she knew that just because he wasn't looking at her didn't mean that he didn't know exactly what she was doing at all times.

Last night when she had come home from their date, she had seen the yellow eyes of wolves in the forest around her house. Just behind the tree line, out of sight but never not there. Somehow it made her feel uneasy. No doubt these wolves were listening in on her every breath and reporting it straight back the Alpha.

When she had brought it up to her mother at breakfast her stepfather had reprimanded her concerns as unwarranted. Even her mother had simply placed a kiss on her forehead and told her not to worry about it.

"It's about the political instability of human democracy prior to the wolf takeover" Her honey voice filled his sensitive ears. The melodic rhythm of her cadence soothing his soul.

"That's heavy reading so early in the morning" Theo's lips had pulled into a gentle smile but with his fangs poking against his bottom lip it looked more like a primal grimace. His eyebrows lightly twitched in amusement only his Fleur would try to solve the issues of mankind at 8:30 in the morning.

"It's for extra credit in our politics class" Fleur mumbled her attention back on the page in front of her. She didn't know how she felt about this inquisition in the morning. With Andrew the mornings in the car were always quiet. He knew that she enjoyed to read on her way to school and so their exchanges were minimal.

The Alpha, however had been trying to make conversation all morning since she had gotten into his Jeep. Asking her how she'd slept and what her plans were after school. She knew it was just small talk but if there was one thing Fleur wasn't it was a morning person.

Theo glanced at her. Eyebrows scrunched together in concentration and the tip of her highlighter was placed softly between her voluminous lips. By the goddess she was a vision. He felt a shiver dance down his spine at the image in front of him.

"You don't seem like the kind of girl who would need to get extra credit" His perfect little studious mate wouldn't have missed an assignment.

"I do need it" She muttered in response flipping to the next page

"Oh yea? How come?" He was intrigued now. Had she not turned something in? Naughty scenarios started playing out in his head. His naughty little student. He would make sure she wouldn't miss another assignment.

Fleur pretended not to hear him. She didn't know how to tell him that it was to get a better grade so that she could apply to better collages. She knew she was already one of the best in her class but she had dreamed of attending the best human university in one of the territories in the west. She knew the acceptance rate was astronomically low but she wanted nothing more than to study there.

Could she tell him that? Was she even still allowed to go to university? Or would she be forced to live out the rest of her life in this town by his side with no opportunity to make a life for herself. She didn't know how she felt about that but she also understood the importance of mates and especially what a Luna meant to a wolf pack. She just wasn't sure if she could live up to those expectations.

Her mom would always be incredibly melancholic when Andrew would leave for a few days to go back to the pack. Then when he came back to them, her mom would always be around him, touching him almost as if they were magnets.

"I just want to be good" She said quietly even though the omission of what was going on in her head tasted sour on her tongue.

Oliver couldn't help but smile when he saw his uncles car pull into the school parking lot. Yesterday after the little Luna had left his uncles residence he and Johnny had been commanded back over and briefed as Fleur's new security details. His timetable had been changed to mirror hers so that someone constantly had an eye on her.