Chapter 4- I Hate Them With A Passion

Charlie's POV:

I woke up sometime in the middle of the night to a dark room. I must have fallen asleep from crying. I sluggishly changed into pajamas and slid into bed. I was awoken by the blinding sun, note to self don't forget to close the blinds before bed. I rolled over feeling Drake, my dragon underneath me. I held a small smile on my face while picking him up. He's over four years old now but he looks brand new, I've always made sure to take good care of him. I remember the day I got him it was my sixth birthday. Mom never really celebrated my birthday so I spent the day with Connor and Liam as I have every birthday since. It was after dinner and we were at Liam's house, they both walked into the room together carrying this crudely wrapped gift. They were so proud that they wrapped it all by themselves. I, of course, was overjoyed. I rarely get gifts so I thought it was great. Liam's mom followed them in and said she thought maybe a Barbie would be good for a little girl but my two best friends insisted that I'd hate the Barbie and would love what they picked. They of course knew me well. I definitely would have hated a Barbie. I opened the gift and it was a stuffed animal, it was a first for me. It was an olive-green dragon with cream wings. I immediately gave home a big hug and couldn't stop smiling. Later that night we decided to name him Drake and I've cuddled with him every night since.

I have to remember to talk to my friends today about everything that's happened. Maybe we can FaceTime later. As I became more awake everything that happened last night started to pop into my head. I let out a groan. I should probably get ready. It's going to be another long day. I grabbed a pair of black jeans and a black T-shirt. Then I made my way into the bathroom. Before I headed out the door I put my hair up in a bun, slid on my black combat boots, and grabbed my red plaid button-up shirt. Checking the time on my phone while shoving my inhaler in my pocket, well I missed breakfast oh well. Taking a big breath I opened my door and made my way down.

As I walked through the sitting room and into the large dining room I was surprised to see Colt, Wyatt, and some random man. He looked to be in his forties. I planned on ignoring them and heading to the kitchen but that didn't work. "Morning Charlotte, how'd you sleep?" Colt asked with way too much energy for the morning. "Fine" I tried to keep walking but then he called me over asking me to take a seat. "Charlotte I want to introduce you to Luke, he's our head ranch hand. We'll introduce you to everyone else later today." "Hello, it's nice to meet the famous Kingsley sister," Luke said with a kind smile. I returned a small one while I added a "Hi." Then a tall older man, not as tall as my brothers but still over six feet with white hair walked in carrying a plate and a glass of juice which he set in front of me. I smiled at him and offered a sincere thanks. Anyone who brings me food is good in my book. Colt then introduces him "Charlotte this is Jack our head chef. I had him save you a plate this morning." "Nice to meet you Jack" "You too short stack." Wasn't too impressed with the nickname but I'll let it slide. As he turns to walk away I ask "If you're the head chef did you cook our dinner last night?" "Yes ma'am" I put a big smile on my face "That was the best Mac and cheese I've ever had, thank you!" I could hear my brothers chuckle. Jack says "Thanks I'm glad you enjoyed it." With a smile before walking back to the kitchen. He is by far my favorite person on this ranch.

Just as I was finishing my breakfast I heard this loud high pitched voice say hello while walking in the room. I look up and see this girl about my age, maybe a year or two older wearing a bright pink hoodie and pink cowgirl boots. Her outfit and smile are screaming at me there so bright. "Hi Colt, Hi Wyatt, Hi Luke." They answer with a chorus of hellos. "Charlotte this is Hailey, her father Anthony works as one of our cooks and her mother June is one of the housekeepers. I figured it would be nice to have someone close in age to spend time with today and give you a tour of the outside." Oh no definitely not! "Yesterday Kaison said he was giving me a tour of the property," I say not before shooting Colt a look. "Kaison is busy right now and I think you'll have fun together." I think Colt and I would disagree on what's considered fun. "I'll pass," I say with as much disinterest as I can as I start to make my way out to take my plate to the kitchen. "Charlotte!" Colt says while adding authority to his voice. After I drop off my plate I walk back into the room with both my brothers staring at me "What!" I say with probably a little too much attitude. "Watch your attitude young lady and it wasn't a suggestion you will spend the day with Hailey." I stare back at him before I put on a big sarcastic smile and sweetly say "Yes Sir" and then finish it with an imaginary curtsy. The look on the three men's faces was priceless. I walk out of the room and out the back door with a smirk on my face.

I take a look around the back porch. It's huge and covered. It's the whole length of the house. There's a large porch swing big enough to take a nap on and perfect for reading. There is a set of gray wicker patio furniture with navy cushions. Lastly, four black rocking chairs on the side. Down the steps and to my left I can see an inground pool and hot tub surrounded by several lawn chairs. Past that, it looks almost like an outdoor kitchen. It has a table and everything. In front of me is a concrete patio and past that is a huge fire pit surrounded by what looked like outdoor couches and a few wooden Adirondack chairs. Then too on my right is a nice-sized flower bed and two hitching posts. Farther back the lawn is covered in thick green grass and a big tree with what looks to be a rope swing. I can see a barn down a pathway to the right and another path leading to a building farther back on the left. At least the weather is nice today, sunny and in the mid-sixties. When I left NY it was cloudy and with a high of 48, another week or two and we'd see the first snow. I just stood there taking it all in and looking at the places I plan to take pictures. It was nice and peaceful with the slight sound of animals in the distance. "Hey, there you are, now that I found you we can start the tour." Hailey all but squealed. Well, I enjoyed the quiet while it lasted.