003. junior year

2 months later

2 months later

on this september morning, manny mendoza still found herself lost in slumber, harboring no intentions of surrendering to the waking world before noon.

to the brunette's dismay, her beauty sleep was abruptly shattered by the sensation of a pillow forcefully smacking against her head.

although one might have expected her to react with alarm to a potential intruder wielding one of her decorative throws as a weapon, she knew it was just hazel. so manny rolled over, choosing to ignore the disturbance like the rest of her current issues.

hazel was already on her sixth attempt of waking her up. "manny, i don't care. it's the first day, you're going to school!"

manny mendoza was renowned for her remarkable talent for deep sleep, and the only foolproof way to jolt her awake was—

"hazel! what the hell?!" her eyes snapped open, her shock compelling her to sit up and hastily wipe her face with the palm of her hand.

water.

"get dressed." the pale girl sternly declared placing the cup back on her nightstand and heading downstairs.

hazel has always felt very protective and responsible for her best friend. while manny's mother couldn't be bothered to even call and check in, the anderson girl always made sure she was showing up to school, eating enough, and getting all her work done.

and while it sounded like a lot for one teenage girl to bear, it all came out of love. she was the maternal figure of the friend group, perpetually feeling responsible for keeping manny and the boys in line.

🎶

"i can't believe you actually made me show up." manny groaned, her steps heavy as she reluctantly passed through east high's imposing main entrance.

she had contemplated skipping school altogether, hoping to escape the persistent thoughts of two certain boys who seemed to have occupied her mind all summer.

"you're gonna have to say something to him sooner or later." hazel reminded, her expression laden with knowing concern. the mendoza girl pursed her lips, "i choose later."

————————

MANNY, junior

"look, i don't know where i stand with ricky. i don't even really want to talk about him..

and as for ej, we're done. we broke up. that's that. i've moved on. he could walk down the hall with another girl today and i wouldn't be even give a second glance.

..wait, did you see him with someone?"

————————