004. auditions

hazel thought the plan to steal nini's dream role was somewhat mean and immature

and was she right?

probably.

but manny was unfazed by such thoughts. enveloped in a storm of anger and resentment, she wanted nothing more than to ruin something for nini.

having spent an entire night with hazel, diligently learning every line imaginable, manny emerged more determined and self-assured than ever in her ability to land gabriella.

arriving at the auditions, manny promptly settled into a seat at one of the mirrors backstage accompanied by hazel, who was present solely for support.. and making sure manny didn't light nini's hair on fire.

they strategically positioned themselves to be seated directly next to the two ensuring she would be noticed.

"ladies and gentlemen a reminder that auditions for the musical will begin in the auditorium in five minutes!" carlos announced running through the wings of the stage. "people make sure your audition number is clearly visible on your clothes. this isn't a game!"

while fixing her hair, she inadvertently overheard ej next to her, "you know, i'm actually kind of bummed that we don't have any competition here. it would make getting the leads all the sweeter."

"could you stop tempting fate?" nini let out a hesitant chuckle, revealing her self-doubt in her singing and acting abilities, in stark contrast to ej's confidence.

"cocky much?" manny whispered to hazel rolling her eyes. then, loudly clearing her throat, as she attempted to catch the couple's attention.

hazel's eyes widened, leaning back in her seat, resigned to manny's theatrics, knowing there was no stopping her best friend.

————————————-

HAZEL, junior

"this is like a bad car wreck. it's so hard to watch,
but you can't look away."

—————————————

the boy turned around looking puzzled seeing his ex girlfriend at auditions, "manny? you're auditioning?"

"oh! hey! well if it isn't the gruesome twosome! i'll see you guys in there." manny exclaimed sarcastically, offering a forced smile as she stood up to head to the stage while hazel followed awkwardly behind.