friendships

To anyone wondering if that interaction stopped Toji from continuing the following game he had started with you, I hope that the image of Toji Zenin trailing behind you as you escape to your garden during the next social event six months later is sufficient as an answer.

He watched your white hair try little to fight the wind as it swayed against your kimono with each step you took. He observed as you made no effort to stop his advances to get closer to you. As he had done in previous years, he began testing the waters to see how close he could get to you until you stopped him. Since that last interaction, Toji was now aware that you've known of his habit but even then you didn't voice your concerns.

In the mind of Toji Zenin, you didn't view him as a threat. That notion irked him to no end. It was widely known that Toji was a disgrace to the Zenin name with no cursed energy to even redeem the surname. It wasn't information that was strictly reserved to the clan as with any other clan, the fuck ups need to be acknowledged to spot who to mistreat at functions like these.

"For a future clan leader, you are uncharacteristically okay with being defenseless." Toji mocked as he continued to walk tread behind your figure. You knew little to nothing of the man but you had a feeling that he had a smirk etched alongside his scarred lip.

"You're talking?" You huff out a laugh and don't make an effort to raise your guard before continuing. "I'm not a liar, Zenin. What I said that day was true. I consider you a friend. Why would I need to defend myself?"

"I'm sure you've heard of my feats. Surely, that should raise some alarm for your safety." The feats in question were all the sorcerers he has killed in the past 3 months. The man had been undermined by his lack of cursed energy his whole life. Only a select few had acknowledged his potential. That niche collective pertains to the people who employed him. He was now trying to uncover which category you would slot into.

"All bad things, of course. You have quite the reputation, Zenin." You affirm his claims, searching your mind for more adjectives that have been used. It was a hot topic of discussion during the monthly elder's meeting; Toji Zenin defected from the clan and Jujutsu society to become a mercenary: The Sorcerer Killer.

"You're not here to kill me, are you? Friends usually don't do that."

"Friends also usually know each other's name. How about you try saying mine, doll."

"Doll? We've already gotten to the nickname stage? Should I make one for you?" Though he couldn't see it he heard the lilt in your voice and could imagine your eyebrow raised in amusement.

"Gotta say my name. Maybe then I'll consider it."

Plopping yourself in the same spot as last time, you face him, and your lips slightly parted. It was the first time you've seen him fully. His appearance aligned with his lineage, the stark black hair and probing/emotionless green eyes. However, he looked nothing like his older brother Jinichi, who was an unruly man that you've had the displeasure of meeting on multiple occasions. The only attributes that could categorize him alongside his older brother were the scar on his lip, the fresh wound on his cheek, and his body. If there was a word that surpassed well-built then Toji's body was that. It was hard to discern with the baggy black sweatshirt and sweatpant set he wore but based on the muscles that peaked through the opening of the neckline, you don't believe your assumptions to be baseless. Alongside that, he had to have been either the same age as you or older than you by a year at most.

You let your eyes fall in line with his, "Toji." He enjoyed how you said his name. "Your name is Toji, right."

"I guess we are friends." He huffed and followed your gaze. There you went again looking at the stars. He would never understand your fixation with them. Perhaps because all his life he had been described as anything but that.