forgotten gems

You had let your guard down. Your mother had informed you about a brunch you had with your father and it did psyche you out. Your father never had a one-on-one with you unless it was business-related. Therefore, your thoughts leading up to the brunch pertained to your father with slight glimpses of that night with Toji. Your mother had chosen your clothes, usually a cause of alarm but you had been so preoccupied that you didn't question why she had insisted you wear a pale blue kimono with displaced floral arrangements as the design and to wear your hair up in a bun with silver floral blue hairpin. Extravagant wardrobe choice for a brunch.

You were truly blindsided when instead of seeing your father you were met with a smug Osamu Zenin sitting at the table you were directed to with food already there for you.

"Gojo, you made it this time. I was expecting to be stood up as per the usual routine that we find ourselves in." He mocked. Even his appearance reeked of pretentiousness. His relatively long hair was being pushed out of his face and into a low ponytail.

He wore a yukata that was similar in color scheme to your outfit, just a darker shade of blue and devoid of any sort of pattern. His frame came nowhere close to Toji's. He was slender and had a few developed muscles in his biceps at best. Gesturing to the seat in front of him, he says, "Please take a seat. I paid for all this food and it would be a shame to see it go to waste."

Osamu Zenin was the perfect man for you.

A sentence that your mother believed wholeheartedly to be true. In comparison to any other son that Naobito had tried to set you up with, your mother voiced her utmost praise for Osamu. She would surmise him as a younger version of your father, down to the haircut and the personality. Truly what any woman wants a potential suitor to be described as. Among the Zenin clan, he fell under the previously inhabited category of Most Attractive. However, his personality didn't match it. His looks had the female diaspora yearning for him and his personality had them at his beck and call. You called it an epidemic of Stockholm Syndrome.

You surveyed the restaurant out of the slim hope that your father would appear from either the bathroom or the front doors. Unfortunately, he was nowhere to be found. You scoff at the situation, "If a woman actively avoids seeing you during arranged meetings like this, that should be a clear enough sign that she isn't interested."

"Send your mother my gratitude for managing to make this happen." He took no offense to your words and dared to smirk, "You'd be pleased to know that this meeting holds substance."

"How so?" You ask with the same amount of interest that you had from the beginning of the interaction.

Zenin hold a dominant trait within their family. It appears in each generation and if it skips one then surely the child is illegitimate. That trait is being incessantly annoying until they get what they want. You've seen it first hand and historians write about it enough for it to be true. They were bred manipulators with an apathy that matched that of a sociopath.

The Gojo's were quiet with their manipulation. It's hard to tell it even happens until someone is negatively impacted by the repercussions. They also hid their misogyny well.

"Take a seat. I hate looking up at women when it's unnecessary." He urged with a load of disdain coming from his mouth. Women were to be at his beck and call. Never the other way around. He had confessed that to you during one of your first meetings. He knew of your reputation and he was confident that he could make the impenetrable Gojo his without much effort. Gojo's are complicated beings and he had figured that out after 6 years of courting. His favorite play must've been Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew. Unfortunately for him, yours was As You Like It.

"And I like looking down on men when it is." You shot back with a pointed look with your arms crossed over one another not before directing it toward the other patrons inside. The entire establishment reeked of affairs and widowers. "Speak up or I'm leaving."