Chapter 12: Surprise, Surprise.

Something is repeatedly thumping against Liam's outer thigh. Liam wrinkles his nose in annoyance and swats at it lazily with his hand. He's too tired to open his eyes and look at whatever it is. The thumping stops briefly only to start right back up this time accompanied by a gruff voice.

"Liam wake up," There's a huff of irritation and then a harder nudge to his leg.

Liam groans, his eyes slowly peeling themselves open. He blinks blearily at the crook of his arm in confusion before rolling onto his back. Rubbing a hand tiredly over his face he tries to focus on the blob above him.

Theo is standing over him in the looming darkness of the cave, Theo with his shaggy dark hair and too green eyes. Theo with two hands and a smirk that's infuriating and human. Liam's mouth parts in surprise.

"About time sleeping beauty," Theo murmurs when he sees Liam staring up at him. "Come on, get up."

Words are stuck in Liam's throat. A plethora of questions and apologies, but he can't seem to dislodge them. All he can do it stare up at Theo. Relief and happiness filling his lungs like oxygen, he finally feels like he can breathe again.

He glances around the cave and for the first time really takes in just how dark it is, the hour before sunrise encompassing them.

"We're leaving right now," he croaks out, hands stretching above his head as he fights back a yawn. "Why?"

There's a flicker of surprise on Theo's face, there and gone like a flash of lightning. Liam knows Theo expected him to ask why he's human again after days of being shifted into a wolf. He knows that Theo probably expected to be yelled at and punched in the face. Honestly, Liam wants to do all of those things. He wants to scream and rant and hit Theo. He wants to tell Theo how much of an asshole he is for leaving Liam alone like that but he's too scared of losing Theo again. Liam doesn't want to travel all the way back to California with only his own voice to hear.

Neither of them moves for a moment, and then slowly Theo twists his head the tension in his body easing. He nods at the mouth of the cave. "The rain stopped a little bit ago. We should move while there's a break."

Liam bobs his head in agreement, they don't usually travel at night, but with winter settling in the days have grown shorter and shorter, the sun disappearing behind the hills and tree quicker than ever. Liam rolls from his sleeping bag onto his knees and wraps it up to attach to his backpack. He'll travel at any hour as long as he has the chance of staying dry.

He can't resist peeking over his shoulder periodically at Theo as they pack up their things. The third time he looks over at Theo he catches Theo staring right back, his eyes alight with curiosity. Liam flushes with embarrassment and looks away. He wonders if Theo heard him last night.

How pathetic would that be? Liam thinks, his hands stuffing things into his backpack with more force than necessary. Theo hearing you cry about being lonely.

The sensation of eyes on his back has him hunching his shoulders up defensively as he tries not to think about the night before. Shame and embarrassment coil in his chest. He tries to push the thoughts away from his mind but they won't budge.

"Theo," He says softly, hands falling still. He has no idea what to say next all he knows is that they need to talk. Things have a way of festering if left alone too long and he doesn't want that to happen.

"I know," Theo says, voice a little too loud in the quiet of the cave. There's a pause and then he speaks again softer this time. "I know, just... just not right now, okay?"

Liam bites down on his lip, holding back the questions building up inside of him.

Are we alright now?