13 - Truth Hurts

It was about a week after the Gala. Steve, Sharon and Sarah had some appearances to actually make all together and were out of town. Steve asked me to come and follow just so I could be near him, but I told him it wasn't smart or safe, but I knew he was going to be gone for almost a week, so a lot of late-night phone calls and text were being exchanged.

I walked down to Bucky's office as Nat was walking out and she smiled at me.

"Miss Meadows."

"Miss Romonoff." I said and I walked into Bucky's office, he was pacing, running his hands through his hair.

"Well...did you ask her?" I asked setting the folder on his desk and he just looked at me and shook his head.

"I couldn't, I chickened out." Bucky said and I groaned.

"Bucky..." I groaned and he sighed.

"I know! I know! I need to just ask her out, but I don't know what to do. I mean I work with her, she comes in and I get flustered. I stammer like an idiot, and I just sit there looking at her, she probably thinks I'm a creep or something."

"She doesn't think that...trust me." I spoke. Bucky sat in the chair behind his desk, and I sat on the corner of it facing him crossing my legs.

"How do you know that?" Bucky asked and I sighed.

"You think Nat and I don't talk when we see each other? You think I haven't heard things? You think I don't know these things and how she feels?" I asked and Bucky groaned.

"And you are just now telling me this?! What is she saying?!" Bucky panicked and I smiled at him.

"Bucky, she thinks you're cute and says when she comes around you just freeze up. You need to learn how to speak to a woman." I spoke.

"I speak to you."

"I'm a friend...there is nothing romantic here." I said causing us both to laugh.

"Well, I know I just don't know what to do when I see her. Can you help me...please." Bucky begged and I sighed.

"All I can tell you to do is just take a calming breath next time she comes in and just look at her as a person and just talk to her. Ask her out to coffee or dinner or to have lunch together...anything Bucky. She will listen if you talk, but you have to talk." I said and Bucky just half nodded and smiled.

"Thanks Blair." Bucky said and I shrugged.

"I do what I can. I mean getting relationship advice from me...is crazy to say the least." I said and looked down at the floor.

"Hey...what's going on with you?" Bucky asked and I shrugged.

"Steve and I haven't had much time alone since I have come back from being gone. I had a miscarriage and he just distanced himself for the most part. The last time we were close was when we danced at the Gala and Sharon made sure to show me, she won that night." I explained and Bucky groaned.

"Come on Blair, you can't think that." Bucky trailed off.

"What else can I think?!" I snapped. "He never came to see me when I went to the hospital, I get it, it was hard but nothing! Not even a phone call. Sharon came to see me to tell me Steve was with her and working on their marriage. You say they aren't, and Steve says they aren't, but I mean they are certainly good at playing their roles." I said as tears filled my eyes. Bucky put his hand over mine that was sitting on his desk.

"Hey, he loves you. He wants to be with you but you both know 2 years is the wait time." Bucky said got up to give me a hug. I smiled in the embrace knowing it was the most comfort I had been shown recently. As we hugged the door opened. We both turned to look and saw Steve standing there in shock.