7.5. Lᴏᴏᴋ Wʜᴀᴛ Yᴏᴜ Dɪᴅ

Jewelry, brushes, and makeup

Just some of the few things I found while rummaging through boxes of old items. Things I haven't seen, worn, or used in years, but for some reason threw in a box and left it to rot. I found a couple of the boxes while sorting through my closet, and decided I had nothing better to do.

There was one box I hadn't opened yet out of the three. I slid it out of the corner, wiping off the dust and cutting it open. Needless to say, there was a reason this was tucked far away in a box.

My old battered wedding dress from 1950,  shattered wedding and family photos, and my wedding band. Things I once thought I would reminisce about and be filled with joy and happy memories. But, all it brought back was misery. I couldn't even bring myself to look at some of the photos. The sharp cracked glass spread throughout the frame, running across our cheerful faces. It made me sick, I felt disgusted with myself. I set the frames aside, pulling out the dress in its entirety. It was covered in marks and streaks of soot from an attempt at burning it. I wanted to set it ablaze, hoping to leave the memories of our relationship with it, but I couldn't physically bring myself to do it. Everytime I tried, something in me told me to stop. Everytime I looked at it, holding it above the flames, it was just a painful reminder of what I did. That damn dress was merely a stab in the back everytime I looked at it. But for some reason, I just couldn't burn it. Every single time I tried, I ended up putting the dress back in the box and put out the raging fire.

I feel like I'm going insane looking at the things in front of me. None of this could've had to be a disturbing memory.

God, what did I do?

All of a sudden, I felt a pounding sensation in my head, and I couldn't even think straight. The room felt like it was spinning, and as I sat there on my knees with my hands clutching my hair, I saw a figure standing in front of me. I rubbed my eyes, trying to make sense of who I was seeing. As I focused on the silhouette, it was clear that it was a woman standing there. But not just any random woman, it was.... me. It felt like I was looking at a mirror, except the glass wasn't there to divide our reflection. And it was me from that horrible night. With that same red dress, and that same bloodied knife in hand. I was frightened at myself, my own presence made my blood run cold. It was a faint vision, but it felt like she was there. Haunting me. The woman mocking me stared at me dead in the eyes, a crazed look on her face as she wiped the blood off of the knife.

"Look what you did."

It wasn't me. It couldn't be me. What evil spirit was coming back to torment me for my past mistakes? I know what I did, and I don't care. The deed is done and there's no bringing him back. Nothing will ever fix the past.

I shut my eyes, banging my head against the wall to make it stop. She kept repeating the same line.

"Look what you did."

Make it stop, make it stop, make it stop, make it stop. "MAKE IT STOP."

Then, there was silence. My head stopped spinning, and when I opened my eyes, she was gone.

I got up and shoved the objects back into their designated box, sliding them into a corner buried in the closet to never open again.