Chapter 29

A/N I don't know why but this chapter was missing..

Norah pushed past the bodies gyrating from all sides. Her playful mood was dampened by the unexpected arrival of Rafe's ex-girlfriend. He had never mentioned her particularly, and she shouldn't be upset that he had an ex. He'd snogged and dated plenty of girls while she tutored him and had never been bothered by it before.

Of course, he had history. She just didn't expect it to show up here.

And she hated herself for lowering her guard so easily! What happened to the promise to herself that she would not let romance and partying distract her? Avoid drama, keep your head low, and study. That's all. This would ruin their tutor-student relationship, too - it'd be too complicated.

The music no longer seemed to lift her spirits up but assaulted her ears. She needed to splash cold water on her warm face. Maybe, she thought, it would wake her up to reality. Tothe reality that there could never be anything more than friendship with Rafe. As she climbed up the stairs to the washroom, she couldn't help but look their way. Rafe's tall frame and messy hair stood out from the crowd as he looked down at Maria.

She couldn't see his face or get an understanding of what they were saying to each other, but it looked like passionate talk. She was saying something to him whilst fiddling with the front button of his shirt. They looked so perfect together.

Somewhere deep inside, she hoped that he'd look up and come after her.Trying to bury her feelings, she headed for the bathroom, which thankfully didn't have an endless queue of women because the whole second floor belonged to Rafe's party for the night.

She froze as she opened the door and heard a shriek from inside the bathroom.

"I said leave me alone! Get off of me!" The girl's shrill voice - unmistakably Hazel's - rang out. Norah was about to spin on her heel and leave. She had no patience for whatever scene Hazel was causing now. There was a gruff laugh.

"Fine. You're always such a fucking tease."

Norah's blood ran cold as she heard Jack's voice. It was drunk and malicious. Going further inside, she saw Hazel's tear-streaked face, her mascara running. Jack's enormous hand wrapped around her arm in a firm grip, and he towered over her frail frame.

He reached out to touch Hazel's cheek. A gesture she flinched from.

"Leave her alone," Norah said, her voice panicked.

"This is the women's washroom. You shouldn't be here."

"Oh fuck, it's Rafe's nerdy sidekick. Ha! He must be too busy to come and get you himself this time," he said to Hazel. He turned to look back at Norah.

"Get the fuck out and mind your own business." Hazel looked at her, distressed and embarrassed.

"Leave," she croaked, half-heartedly trying to pry off his grip from her arm.

"I'm fine."

Norah opened the entrance door wide and crossed her arms in defiance. Outwardly she looked calm and confident, but she could feel her heart hammering. There was always something nasty about Jack, and it made her feel sick with disgust and fear.

"Get out now. Or I will call security," she managed to say, her mouth gone dry. Jack's eyes darkened, and he let go of Hazel before coming up to Norah.

She could feel her palms sweating. He can't do anything to you; people are right outside, there's security, she told herself, and yet the fear was there.

"Are you threatening me? This ain't the school Jap," he said in a low, dangerous voice. His breath reeked of vodka and cigarettes. He punched the tile wall inches away from her head. She flinched. Though paralysed in fear she was not going to leave Hazel.

"Hey. Is everything okay? What's going on?"William's voice never sounded more welcoming and soothing. It was a sound of rescue, and she could finally breathe. Jack slowly peeled his eyes off of Norah and looked at Will with a smirk. Will in turn looked atNorah and then back to Jack and his eyebrows furrowed.

"Just catching up with the girls. I'm going for a fag," he said nonchalantly and left, but not before shoving his shoulder against Norah's. William frowned and was about to say something to Jack when Norah stopped him by tugging on his arm.

"Don't," she said breathlessly. "He's just very drunk."

"Are you okay? Did he say anything to you?" He asked, looking at her ashen face.

"No, I'm fine. But someone in there isn't," she said, pointing inside the bathroom. She asked for the small unopened bottle of Evian that William was holding and went inside to find Hazel. She was looking at her reflection and rubbing the ruined makeup with tissue.

"Here," Norah said. Hazel shakily and wordlessly took the water and downed it in a couple of gulps.

"Thanks," she muttered, avoiding her eyes and going back to washing her face. Norah took this as her cue to leave.

She found William hanging outside the bathroom with a concerned face. She was glad that William was around when he was needed the most. The only person in the whole school, probably, who didn't drink alcohol. He was the caretaker of everyone at the party because of it. After most parties, he gave lifts to friends too. He was too good for this bunch. A thought crossed her mind about how good of a couple they would have made.

But that fleeting idea was drowned by images and thoughts of Rafe, his smile, his charm and his gorgeous hazel eyes.

* * *

Rafe's head throbbed from arguing with Maria. The girl was stubborn. She was hellbent ongetting back together, and if he weren't so damn tired and pissed off, he would've been very flattered. Because of Maria's interruption, he had to go find Norah, unsure if that moment onthe dance floor would even happen again.

He spotted her outside the cloakroom talking to William. As he approached, he noticed she looked slightly shaken and wondered what had happened. When he asked, however, he noticed the slightest shake of her head at William and his former teammate, who was already getting on his nerves, pissed him off further by not telling him anything.

"Seriously, you look like you saw a ghost," Rafe tried again.

"What happened Norah?"

"I'm fine. Honestly, I'm just tired. I'm heading home," she said, thanking the lady who handed her the coat. Rafe couldn't keep the disappointment off his face.

"Already? It's only..." he said, looking at his clock. "It's barely midnight!" She gave him a tight smile.

"Sorry. I'm tired. I really am."

"Please stay." He looked into her eyes, trying to find any hint that would tell him what the hell had just happened to change her this way. Was it Maria's interruption? But he had brushed her off, he was here, one drink away from begging her to stay.

"My carriage will turn into a pumpkin," she tried to joke her way out. She looked at him apologetically. She thanked him for the party and dressed to go outside.It was frustrating that he'd only been gone for ten minutes, and Norah had returned to being reclusive. And no one would tell him what the hell happened.

Did something happen between her and William? The thought of it made him nauseous."I'll take you home," he said.

"No, there's no need. You must stay, it's your party. I'm going back with Benny. He said he'd meet me outside," she said.

After a couple more attempts of coaxing and debating, Rafe led Norah out of the club, defeated.