Chapter 3

Rafe observed the girl who shoved him, gave the wrong instructions on purpose, and told him off all in the space of one morning.

They had literally gotten off on the wrong foot.

The rest of the folk in this school seemed normal and decent enough, even if some were a bit dorky or awkward around him. The school had its own football field and invested heavily in its sportsmen which was the only decent news he'd had so far. Talking about football got him out of his funk. At least for now. How strong was the team? He'd have to find out this afternoon. Call it morbid fascination, but he couldn't help but gaze at that girl again when she went to get some ketchup.

At first glance, she looked like your stereotypical nerd straight out of a book: the black-rimmed glasses, modest-length skirt, and carrying around lots of books. On a closer look, she was immaculate. The uniform was a perfect fit, spotless, and ironed. Her skirt, unlike some of the girls in this school, actually reached her knees and was perfectly snug. It made her look older and classier. There was something mature about her with her straight posture and laser-sharp gaze.

Her jet-black hair looked as if it had been ironed, and hung from a high, neat ponytail, not a single hair out of place. No wonder she made such a fuss over a sock.

She sat back down and next to her, a tall, skinny boy slouched and leaned into her as they talked. It was obvious they were talking about him because he was glancing at him from time to time, as was half of the canteen. Seriously, people were a bit barbaric here. Had they never had a student from London before?

After a moment, Nora turned around to look him in the eye and Rafe tried his best to show that this morning's unpleasant meeting was not forgotten. With a devil-may-care attitude, she returned to eating her lunch as if their encounter this morning hadn't even occurred. He briefly wondered what she'd be like in bed. Her neatness made it tempting to mess up that hair and rip off that crisp shirt.

"Who's that girl? She was in our English class this morning," Rafe asked a girl beside him, who, for the last half an hour, had been talking about dying her hair. Her name was Hazel and she said she was from Yorkshire.

She looked in the direction of the table and let out what almost sounded like a snarl.

"Ugh, that weird creature. Her name is Nora, she's half-English and half-Japanese or Chinese or something. No one talks to her. She thinks she's better than everyone because she has the highest grades in school."

"Does she always look so... serious?" He told them briefly what happened that morning.

His newfound friend from the English class, Luke, snorted. "Yes. She kicked the shit out of Fred last year because he tripped on her foot. So, you got off easily I'll tell you that."

"In all fairness, I'm glad she did," Amber said. "He's such a creep."

Amber was a pretty girl, with light brown eyes and long lashes. Her fair skin and faint traces of freckles made her look like a real-life doll.

Jack, the most aggressive-looking guy sneered as he too looked in Nora's direction. "She just needs a good screw. Any girl as uptight as her needs it nice and rough, and then she'll relax."

Hazel burst out laughing, as did several guys at the table. "Jesus Jack," Amber muttered with disapproval.

"We call her Gogo. Have you seen the movie 'Kill Bill'?" Luke asked. Rafe nodded.

"Um...no one except you calls her that Luke, you loser," Hazel said, taking a sip of her water.

She made it painfully obvious that her diet consisted of crackers, apples and water.