Chapter 9 - Rhine's Ears

Sorry, if you think its short but this is just from her perspective. :)

Chapter 9 - Rhine's Ears 

And P.O.V.

As soon as I hear the door go and Skye's soprano voice I know there is someone else here, I can sense it. Only they don't make themselves heard. Skye's footstep are short and fast while this enigmas footfalls are more muffled and slower, I imagine longer looking steps. A guy?

Skye greets my parents as usual, casual and easy. Nothing from the mystery human. Mom has told me that Skye has been really beating herself up about me and the whole coma thing, like its her fault. But it isn't and every time she visits I want to wake up and tell her it isn't her doing. Pure bad luck, my bad luck.

"Hi Karen, Is she all good?" She stops with a quick sigh. "I mean, not like that, but is she okay as in maybe better." She mutters on, really jumbling her words and by the sound of it her thoughts too.

"Yeah, Rhine's just Rhine, really. She hasn't really improved too much but she hasn't gotten any worse. Everything has just slowed the hell down." My mother explains full of distress. She is always upset now and it seems like Dad's comfort which was once so effective is doing absolutely nothing.

I feel warm, clammy pressure on my right arm. "Hey Rhine, It's Skye." She softly says.

I know its you. Why can't my lips just move? or my fingers. Wishing won't do shit.

 "I heard that your brain activity is picking up." She says nervously, just like the way she did the first time we met in high school.

Picking up? What am I a freaking business? I imagine the words forming in my mouth, with sarcasm more than anger and the sound of my own voice deep inside my gut but that's just a memory now, a feeling of what I used to be. I shouldn't blame her, no actually I won't blame her. This is my fault. The something person still in the room is putting me on edge, I don't like it.

"Ooh guess what?" She pauses as if waiting for an answer. "So you know how I met Toby. Toby Turner, that is. Well the thing is today Guess who I just so happen to find at my door.?" She says like she is grinning wildy. i am so jealous of her right now.

Let me guess... she is so freaking predictable sometimes and rhetorical questions are something she enjoys to use just a bit too much. I love her so much.

"Going to guess that you already know. But anyway point is after we went to try to find Gryphon because a certain idiot, " She coughs sarcastically. "TOBY! Decided to vlog and dropped his leash. And Cade thought to call for some ridiculous reason and now we are officially over then after that we came here and Toby is here." She says, excitement thrilling her voice. 

That makes sense. Now I know who is in this room, my prison cell. Toby Turner, Prison in your own head and hearing everything you can't interact with isn't so bad right now. I feel Skye get up and hear her short footfalls across the room. All the while Toby's foot steps are becoming louder and closer. Seconds later, I feel his warm touch on my hand as he grasps it. Oh my fucking god.

"Hey, Rhine. Skye told me that you were the original audience member out of the two of you." He pauses, I could sympathize with him, talking to someone that has literally no response would be hard but I am not the one talking. "And she told me how much you love... Me? Would that be the right way to put it? Well, anyway I will tell you one thing no other audience member will ever know. That is until I upload it and finish editing it." He stops talking.

I hear Skye running over from the other side of the room where she was talking to my mother and jumps onto the bottom of the hard bed. "Correction: Rhine will be a half of the first audience members," She really emphasizes the plural. "to know this. Did you honestly think I would let you get away with telling her and not me?"

I wish they would stop talking to me as if I can respond then the next minute act like I am not there.

"Fine, but just so you know and feel bad, I wanted to make Rhine feel special." Toby says, I here Skye sigh.

"Okay, I will go talk to Ethan." She says, getting up again and walking away.

Ethan has been so kind to me, not forgetting loyal. He has been here every freaking day and not talked to me like a five year old which a lot of people tend to do when you can't reply.Seven months of pure goodness, before this. When or if I wake up I will marry that angel. I wish I could tell him. just a whisper, just something, just movement. It's utter torture.

Toby interrupts my thoughts. "Okay so now Miss Nosey is all but near. Get this, I am going to assume that you know about the whole 'I'm-gonna-do-a-sketch-video-but-I-don't-know-what-it-will-be-and-where-it-will-be' thing I have been blabbering on about in my daily vlogs. So, yeah I have written the script out, I believe it is awesome," Toby says it like it's fact. "I'd tell you more about it but then what'd be the fun in watching it?" He stops abruptly and I hear his breathing slow, all the time he is still holding my limp hand. Assuming I can watch anything at all. "This is our little secret." He whispers right into my ear.

I am thrilled Toby is here but I am neutral about at the same time. I mean, I get to finally meet him but now it has happened, it hasn't really happened. I can hear him and feel him but I can't see him and he can't really get to see the real me, it's like he is talking to a mannequin or a wax figure that looks like me.

I hear the door swing on its hinges. "It's just me, Toby and Ethan." Skye mentions. "Your parents went to go to the cafeteria." Again? i swear they go every hour. Or I have very poor judgement on time passing.

They talk about so many things over me but directing everything at me, as if they are worried about leaving me out of conversation. It felt like hours had passed before they said they had to leave, Ethan stays for as long as he can so he won't leave for a while. But Toby and Skye say their goodbyes and I hear the door shut. 

Goodbye, Skye.