Chapter 21 - A Sister Like No Other

"I think this is right." Toby breathes heavily as we reach the last flight of grimy stairs that went winding up ten stories high. The address that Cally wrote down turned out to be for a flat among other flats, obviously there'd be more than just one. "Try the door bell." He mutters after I lightly tap my knuckles against the door with no response. Pressing the white, rubbery button located next to the appartment's number, 42. The chime sounds from the other side of the door. Moments pass with nothing but the rustle of plastic bags on the grey balcony with apartment doors lined up, facing the city. A sudden switch of light shines through the frosted glass.

The sound of chains and metal griping like cogs come from the door with the shadow of a tall feminine silhouette. Slowly, the door shies open with a very familiar but aged face revealed.

"Skye?" The woman behind the door and peaking around it said with a shocked undertone. But it was her in the flesh and blood, my sister. Luce widened the door in response to my teary eyed grin, hugging me tightly for what felt for minutes, i suppose we had to make up for all those lost years apart. Toby probably feels awkward, who cares I've got my sister back. I cannot believe its actually you!" She says through the happiest tears. Daniel, being Daniel, must've heard us and came through to stand slightly behind Luce with a hand pulled round her waist.

"Daniel." I breathe with an almost army like nod. I never really knew him when we were all younger, apart from seeing him and Luce sneak out of the house on Fridays when Mum had her book club I'd never really been properly introduced or even had a conversation with him. And now, it being years after, we are all older and I'm obliged to pretend like I've known him for years. In a sense I have, and in another he is almost a stranger,  more of an acquaintance than anything else.

"Skye, long time no see." Using the most vague man-ish phrase possible he brings me in for a slightly surprising hug, I clamp my arms around his middle and hold for only a few seconds before pulling back. I reach for Toby's hand, I don't want him to feel totally alienated.

"This is Toby," I pause, soon expecting a little devilish glance from my sister. "My boyfriend." And there it is, fully fledged and heading my way, dismissing it with a smug, little smile I continue. "Meet Luce," I say, glancing between all three of them. "My long lost sister who ran away, in a flustered cloud of what I imagined to be a fetus and smoking hot lust, with her gorgeous, mysterious lover. Daniel Grigori, " I look up at him with a smirk. "Who I know now to be Luce's husband. Isn't this just lovely."  I add, with a playful hint intertwined with my voice.

"Well, apart from only the few mistakes within the back ground information you got that absolutely perfect." I'm glad to know Luce's sarcasm hadn't died over the years, or maybe I'm not. "Anyway with introductions out of the way and girly crying gone too, please come in to our shoe box of a the house, there's nothing here to steal so now's your chance to leave and not ever return." Yep, her inappropriate sarcasm hadn't died with her usual sarcasm, and I've decided: I wish both of them had died over the years.

Toby and I shuffle ourselves into the rather cozy hallway, trying not to step on any ones foot more than the once. But it was inevitable, four people occupying a two metre square stretched into six feet hasn't ever been an exactly easy situation. Our two host lead us to the brightly blue painted kitchen, taking our coats like true house entertainers they most likely are, of course, who am I to know. Excusing himself, Daniel turns a corner to find something 'rather important' with only Luce, Toby and I to make conversation, not that was going to hard.

"So how's life been since I've been out of the picture?" Luce asks after settling everyone's preferred caffeinated hot beverage, she gets out four mugs and fills her antique looking kettle. Toby settles himself on the stool nearest the window, as usual taking out his phone to update the universe on everything happening in his life, it's not that I dislike it, because it's his job but it just gets a little samey. Leaning against the counter I let out a long held, cold feeling breath, tingling my lips as it passes through.