2 - Something You Might Be Looking For

14 December, 1960

The front seat of Lewis' car en route to Liverpool was not exactly where Fiona figured she'd be at ten in the evening on a Wednesday. But following the arrival of certain precious cargo a few nights ago, there wasn't much else that could be done.

Paul and Pete had arrived the night of the 6th weary, thin, and drenched to the skin, each clutching a small, tightly packed suitcase as they'd disembarked. The look on their faces when they'd spotted Fiona and Meg waiting for them at the arrival gate was priceless.

Fiona explained to Paul as Ray and Lewis grabbed the suitcases that John had written about their flight, noticing the subtle surprise in Paul's eyes as she did. Like there was something he wasn't telling her.

Nevertheless, the trip to Liverpool that had been tentative, had solidified with the boys' arrival; Paul and Pete had to get home one way or another. "Besides," Meg had winked at Fiona, looking positively radiant to be holding Paul's hand again, "it's about time ye saw yer parents."

It wasn't about seeing her parents, though. She wasn't dreading a reunion. She'd gotten on all right without them, but there were times when she missed them like hell. In fact, the prospect of visiting them seemed to be the only positive thing about going back.

She hated how she was stuck with a stubborn yearning for Liverpool that she couldn't seem to get rid of – a longing for her old room, listening to records with Lynn, walking to school with John, all the simple things from her old life. She'd tried to put all that behind her, but the presence of her old friends in her London flat was a reminder that she belonged somewhere else – and that she couldn't hide away in London forever.

So, alas, here they were, speeding down the highway as a light snowfall adorned Lewis' car - or, rather, Lewis' parents' car. They'd come from the country when they heard of Lewis' plans to go to Liverpool, and were staying in the flat with Ray over the holidays while he stayed behind to teach.

Fiona leaned her head against the seatback and tried to forget the expression on her boss' face when she'd asked for a month off from work at Remy's. The only reason she was still employed anyway was because, according to him, her face drew in customers. Never mind her actual strengths - how she was always on time, attentive, had a good memory, and knew how to handle difficult customers with respect. He was lucky to have her, the little shit.

Lewis, who was driving, smoothed the fabric of her skirt on her leg, gently patting her knee. He knew when she was stressing; he was perceptive as all get out, so much so that sometimes she worried he read a little too much into things.

"It'll work itself out," he whispered in the otherwise silent car. The others were so quiet she'd almost forgotten it wasn't just her and Lewis. In the crowded backseat, Pete Best was squished against one window, Meg against the other, and Paul in between them, his arm snaking over Meg's shoulder as she slept on him.

It had been a wonder that they all fit in the little car, let alone suitcases for the five of them, which had filled the trunk to near maximum capacity. Had John been there, he would have complained nonstop about the virtually nonexistent foot room. But the crowd they had was fairly patient. Pete didn't say a word as it is, Meg was asleep as long as Paul held her, and Paul himself, despite how defeated he'd looked after coming off the plane, enjoyed telling Fiona stories of their adventures in Hamburg - especially since John hadn't been in touch to tell her himself.

"The first place we ended up, little joint called the Indra. You wouldn't know it was there unless you were looking right at it. It's around the corner from all the other places - pretty dark, the sort of place you don't end up by accident... you know those, y'know." He waved a dismissive hand through the air. "An' if you'd seen the place they were keepin' us... it was worst the first few nights, couldn't tell where our room started and the loo ended - but we all got used to it. Shit of a place, that was. But we got used to it. Wasn't much time for sleepin', anyway. We played every night from dinnertime till breakfast next morning."