6 - Scumbags

The storm quieted after long hours into the night, and when daybreak was announced from the scouts, we all ventured out. The sunrise was just peeking over the horizon as we emerged from the stairwell upon the ruins of the packhouse. The windows were shattered, and the tree cut down the side of the house, tearing up centuries of woodwork and labor in its wake. I felt eyes on me, knowing for certain I had known, and I did not need to hear their gratitude or concerns to know them well.

Cars arrived soon trailing behind a snowplow that carved its way from town. Power was still down, but the caravan brought worried families and friends to check on us. Loved ones jumped into each others arms. Beatrice hugged her father and mother and four siblings. Elijah cheered up his little cousin Kyle, who was teary-eyed with worry. Anthony consoled his son and wife. I stood alone, walking into the wintry world outside. I stared out onto the town, thickly covered in snow, and could see the flames of my vision and how the fires had danced against the skies above the city. I would tell Elijah about what I saw when this was all over. I felt a hand on my shoulder.

Looking up, I saw Sam watching the town with me and smiled. "Thank you for keeping me company," I said quietly. Sam shook his head. "It is all I can do for you, Seer."

"Davina is fine. I'm not... used to the title yet," I admitted. Sam nodded.

"How did you know about how to activate the visions?" I asked him then, too aware of the eyes on us. Sam was quiet for a long moment before speaking. "It was a guess, as good as any other. I figured, you know, in those movies with people with powers, they all clear their minds and focus, right? I figured it might work." I laughed hard, bending over and holding my gut. Sam blushed. It was so silly, so ridiculous, and yet so solid that it had worked out perfectly.

The day passed along with repairs starting on the house, just as my vision had shown. I walked up the stairs to the attic and pulled down the step ladder to find too much sunlight coming down. A quick trip up showed the disaster. The roof had torn partially open. My old room, my old life as prisoner, laid as a wasteland of snow and broken glass in front of me. I don't know why, but it made me cry.

"Your past dies here, Davina," Laluin said, cooing me. "A brighter future awaits you."

The next day, those who resided or functioned out of the packhouse were relocated to the Redfield Hotel for temporary boarding. The hotel was mostly used for purposes such as these and for outside pack visits, as humans hardly roamed in, and so it was made for accommodating wolves. My room was a master suite, fitted with anything I could possibly need. I was told by staff what an honor it was to have me, despite recognizing so many that had once scorned me years ago. Laluin told me to brush it off, but the bitterness sunk in.

I was ordered to find a dress for the coming Solstice ball, and I loathed every second. Rebecca Campbell was ordered to be my chaperone in town to get it done. A warrior and patrolman, Rebecca was a prima dona with claws of steel. I'd known her back in the early days of high school as the one every teacher loathed and every student wanted to be. It was nice to share a familiar company with someone who cared so little about other people's opinions.

Every shop was a fail, and every dress failed to impress. Even with Elijah's black card, Rebecca found nothing on me she saw as perfect. Two days passed of searching before she would settle on a gleaming dark crystal-teal gown. The top was embroidered with beading and tatted with fine lace down the sleeves. A grand moonstone necklace was paired with the look for symbolic purposes, an idea proposed by the Elders to increase the impact of my first event appearance.

Walking around town with Rebecca and hauling bags, I was exhausted by the end of the second hour. We walked down the sidewalk as Rebecca ranted about the stresses of patrols and how bad the sun was for her skin, when my shoulder collided with someone and I hit the ground. Cement bit by knees as they scraped along to a stop, and I winced as the palm of my hands burned where I had braced them to protect my face. I heard snickering behind me, looking back to see a group of college-aged kids my age walking off and glancing back at me. Rebecca whirled, approaching them fast as her six-inch heels clacked against the ground, grabbing one man's arm and wrenching it behind his back. He howled in pain, begging her to stop while the others looked on in horror. He was forced to his knees, and his feet were kicked down until he was kneeling low to the ground. I stood, nursing bloody knees as I looked on at the sight. It was Rufus Seeder, again. His posse could never let my life be easy. "What shall I do with him, Seer Davina?" Rebecca said, and for the first time in all the years I had known her, I felt pure rage rippling off her at the behest of another. Recovering from my surprise, I glared down at Rufus. "Was being banned from the packhouse not enough for you, you idiot?" I growled. One thing that proliferated my new status was the fear it invoked. I smirked, crossing my arms, ignoring the shopping bags scattered on the sidewalk now. "If those fucking clothes are ruined and I have to go back to shopping, I'll have your dick, impotent asswipe."