Chapter 34: Blue & Purple (1)

A month later, New York JFK International Airport.

Leo and Li Biqing took their suitcases out of the waiting hall and got on a taxi parked outside the airpor.

"103 East 86th Street, Manhattan." The federal agent in casual clothes said to the taxi driver, "Also, can you turn down the music a little bit?"

The black driver with thin braids all over head acted like he heard nothing. In the car, he twisted his body following the loud music on the radio, and the ornaments on his neck jingled like a self-satisfied rapper. In a short interlude, he finally got time to open his mouth and answered the passenger, "Turn it down? Do you think this is Bandari? I said, man, your music literacy needs to be improved. Don't just focus on selecting branded things."

He squinted from the rearview mirror, his lips turned in disdain towards the other person's clothing that was obviously not on the same level as him, "Brightness is not important, what matters is the soul, you know, soul! Only Hip-Hop can release it and let it be free, just like Tyler the Creator! Listen to this line-" He twisted his butt and rapped loudly, tapping his fingers on the steering wheel. An SUV in the adjacent lane overtakes from the rear, and when the SUV passed by, the driver put his face out of the window and scolded angrily, "You're occupying half of the lane, idiot!"

"That ... 'what the Creator', how to translate "Creator?" Whispered Biqing who was sitting by Leo's side.

The federal agent thought for a while and replied, "Maybe it's some cult leader? Leave him be, his faith has nothing to do with us, unless they also make a self-immolation incident." The driver glanced and gave them a 'You people who don't understand music are hopeless' look.

When Leo got out of the car after paying the fare, he knocked the door on the driver's side, "Hey, musician, buy a bottle of air freshener to clean up the smell in the car. Next time you smoke something illegal, or see passengers using one without calling the police, I will give your name and license plate number to the authority."

The black driver cursed angrily but then the words got stuck halfway when he saw the blue letter on white background and the golden eagle badge on it. "-It's my fault! Sir, I promise I won't do it again. Really, I swear to God, oh no, to the child in my girlfriend's belly! Don't catch me, or she will find my lovely little girl-maybe a naughty boy, a new father! I swear this is the last time! From now on, I will forget about the word marijuana, and even how to spell it!" After a series of apologies and guarantees, the taxi swished out and fled into the bustling traffic.

Li Biqing smiled and bent down to pick up his luggage, "... I always feel that black people often carries a sense of comedy within them, that serious talks only comes to them on rare occasions. Is it because each group of people has their own certain characteristics?"

"Certain characteristics? Maybe, just like how the Chinese are more meticulous at budgeting." Leo smiled and flicked his cap. "Don't say it in front of them. Some might get offended, and might give you a beating."

They talked as they walked into a two-storey house with an attic. Leo took out the key to open the door, and as they came in, they felt the cold and dull air inside, which was a result of being uninhabited for some time. They hastily swept the curtains aside to open all windows and the doors. As the air started to circulate, they also felt much better.

Through the large floor-to-ceiling glass windows, the summer sun radiated warmly, giving the entire apartment white tones with a layer of transparency and brightness. Li Biqing looked at the interior of the house- there were sofas, tables and chairs, cabinets in quaint shapes, simple-patterned cashmere carpet, exquisite decorations everywhere, and exotic wood ornaments on the walls. In the bustling city of New York, known as the "crossroads of the world", and within the golden Manhattan area, the house occupied a seat with ease, displaying a unique blend of home and art