06

dedicated to Complicated_Popcorn as she always comments something really sweet on each of my chapters, thank you lovely!

Chapter Six

ADAM. The cute British guy is called Adam. His East London accent, information curtsey of Sophie is dreamy. I just want him to carry on talking, much like how I used to be with Sophie.

"So, you're a trainee surgeon in the army?" I reconfirm, crossing my legs on the floor. We haven't moved since helping the little boy and Adam sits with his back pressed against the wall as he sorts through his briefcase. The others have gone to get us some food.

"Yeah," he says, "though I was meant to come out to Rome to extend my training."

"Is there any way you can get in contact with anyone? I mean, I know over at the building we were in, the lines were down, and all the phones were broken by the storm..."

"It's the same here, Kayla," he interrupts.

"Right," I feel defeated.

"It's weird, you know," he says with a frown, "not being able to contact anyone. I feel like we've gone back years." I watch as a wrinkle folds in his forehead, a thought troubling him. I can tell he's older, the early twenties or so and my eyes drift down to his hand I am thrilled to see he's not married. I try to tell myself to stop it, he's older, he's also ridiculously cute, which doesn't help matters further. He's cuteness comes from his mess of brown hair and dark grey eyes. Freckles decorate his nose the underneath of his eyes and when he smiles, he shows his teeth.

"I know," I agree after a moment of gathering my thoughts.

He coughs, trying to change the subject and peeks at me through his thick eyelashes. "Anyway..."

"Um, yeah..." I stand up awkwardly and hover. "I should be getting to my friends." I force a smile and turn away, my cheeks flushing as I turn too quick and knock into a chair. This boy is literally knocking me off my feet and I barely met him five minutes ago.

It takes me longer than I'd like to admit to reach the others. They all stand in a small huddle conversing in small voices. Damon's got his lips around something long, it dangles from his mouth and from a distance it looks like jerky, up close it smells more like candy. I'm so focused on it that I don't realize they have all seen me coming until Evan speaks.

"Oh, here comes the hero," he scowls at me sarcastically and his lips turn into a smirk when I glare back. Sophie spins around and engulfs me into a hug. A chunk of her hair gets stuck in my mouth and I have to scramble to pull it away, my hands trapped at my sides.

"That was incredible," she says, her voice void of sarcasm. "I have never seen anything like it! It was like watching an episode of Grey's Anatomy."

"It was scary," I admit, and she pulls away and frowns.

"Why?"

"Because if I didn't do something right, that little boy could have died in my arms," I explain. I shake the thought away. I don't know what I was doing there in the first place. "Anyway, Adam told me that a large majority of the staff got out,"

"What, how?" Damon stops chewing.

I shrug, "I don't know, but he said he hasn't been able to find a single person who works here for days."

"But you said the large majority?" Evan buts in with a frown.

I make a face, "well the ones he found were..." but I trail off because it doesn't take a genius to know what I am saying. He found them dead.