02

dedicated to sanaa0123 for her really nice comment on the previous chapter.

The photo represents my indication of a possible actor that could be Evan.

Chapter Two

IT HASN'T STOPPED, the rumble of the storm is brewing like a bubbling kettle that is about to explode. The noise engulfs the small room we are all huddled in - along with the complaints from everyone who is starving.

"How long do you think we're going to have to wait here?" Sophie's got a pair of sweats thrown over her shoulder as she desperately tries to root through her luggage for a hairbrush. She's as impatient as ever and flings a pair of shorts in my direction which I almost don't catch. "My stomach literally feels as if it's going to fall out my arse," she adds sarcastically, even her way of pronouncing 'ass' isn't enough to make me smile.

I disregard her comment with a frown, despite feeling the same. Soph could be vulgar sometimes, but it was kind of the best thing about her. She always spoke her mind no matter what was on it. I guess in some situations it just wasn't appropriate.

I shrug my shoulders and sigh in a long, heavy breath and finally respond to her. "When the storm blows over, probably. I mean, it's likely going to be over in the morning." I try reassuring her, though, by the looks of it, the worst is yet to come.

"Gather round!" Mrs. Scott whistles, her fingers pressed to her lips. "I have news."

Sophie and I stand, joining the crowd of teenagers that are ambulating towards her. I look for Ben, but he's not back yet. He had gone with another teacher and a few other students in search of a food source over an hour ago. I can't help but question this airport. Aren't they supposed to have rations when things like this occur, protocols and procedures? The security guards haven't so much as been in this room since we were pushed in here and I haven't seen any airport staff since we landed. I'm so consumed by thoughts that I don't notice another flash of lighting glaring through the room, followed by a large clap of thunder that makes everyone shriek and jump. I jump too, my spiral of thoughts evaporating, and clutch onto Sophie's hand, my heart racing. I've never seen thunder like this before. It was like watching a movie, except I was in it.

Mrs. Scott and the rest of the teachers do their best to calm us, but the wind is howling, ensuring its presence is known, and Mrs. Scott's voice is small as she tries to compete with the roaring terrain outside.

"I'm going to have to shout," she yells, "but as you might have known, some of our teachers have gone to find a vending machine or another food source at this airport. I know that this place is huge, but due to safety precautions, this part of the airport is being blocked off from terminals A and B, which hold the rest of the passengers. I am also aware that this experience isn't the one that was planned, however, there is no point sitting here dwelling on it. It's our job now to work together and get through this storm as best we can. This means communication and cooperation are essential. I want you all to pair up and use the blankets that the security have found to create a bed on the floor here. It's going to be a squeeze and you're going to have to make a pillow from a ball of clothes, but it's imperative that now you follow through and make sure that you know where you're sleeping and that it's reasonable - if not somewhat comfortable enough."

She dips her head slightly. "This is definitely not ideal, and I apologize that we have been stranded in this situation. I cannot control the weather, though I am praying the clouds will give way and we can get out of here. So, grab a partner and get moving. I will be exiting shortly to help with the food finding."