Chapter 2: Unexpected Reunion

<< CotE: Tied Beginnings >>

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka

During lunchtime, I messaged the Ayanokouji group, informing them that I would be hanging out with Yuki. In response, Akito suggested that I "show her the T-rex".

Can people stop talking about that? Honestly, it was starting to get annoying.

As Yuki and I strolled along at a casual pace, I chose to initiate a conversation.

"Why did you come to this school— no, actually, how did you get into this school?"

As Chabashira mentioned earlier, student transfers were a groundbreaking occurrence in this school. Seeing Yuki, of all people, as a transfer student, was certainly surprising.

"Hm~, that's a secret!" she replied, putting her index finger on her lips.

"Well, can you tell me who we're meeting with at least?"

"That's also a secret~"

How troublesome.

Upon entering a cafe called Pallet, I was met with a rush of cool, conditioned air, providing a refreshing escape from the outside weather. The cafe reverberated with the lively sounds of bustling students and upbeat music, enveloping us in an energetic and vibrant atmosphere.

Once we settled at a table for three, Yuki reached for her phone and began to fiddle with it. Presumably, she was informing the other student of our location.

A waitress, upon noticing our presence, immediately greeted us, "Welcome to Pallet Cafe! May I take your order?"

"Three lattes, please!" replied Yuki, just as I was about to speak.

"That would be 750 private points," said the waitress, to which Yuki agreed to handle the payment. Afterward, the waitress departed, leaving the two of us alone.

"You didn't have to do that. You probably have fewer points than I do."

"My treat, Kiyotaka," stated Yuki. "I'm the one who brought you here, so it's only fair that I have to pay."

"I guess so."

After a few moments of silence, Yuki spoke up again.

"You know, Kiyotaka... You're really amazing."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"You survived in that place... a-alone... f-for years..." She stammered, as her breathing became ragged. A bead of sweat formed on her forehead, while her eyes started to water.

The amygdala, a small part of the brain, activates in tandem due to the emotional significance of the memory—in Yuki's case, her memories from the White Room. This causes a surge in stress hormones, prompting the hypothalamus to signal the autonomic nervous system. In turn, this would force the 'fight' or 'flight' mode.

"Yuki, calm down," I said, using a gentle voice. "Take deep breaths."

Deep breathing activates the vagus nerve, which in turn triggers the release of acetylcholine, prompting relaxation and reducing heart rate. In other words, it's an effective way to recover from a PTSD episode.

She took a few moments to breathe, gradually steadying her breaths. Her shoulders eased, indicating that she was recovering.

"Sorry, I—"

"Are you okay, now?" I asked, to which she responded with a nod.

Confirming that she had completely recovered, we decided to engage in meaningless topics.