♡8♡

♡ y/n: 18 gon: 12

i walked through the market, carrying my basket as i hummed a song softly. the weather today was perfect, like any other day in whale island. it was time for me to go shopping in the market as well! so here I am, wandering to the market, blissfully unaware and ignorant.

"gon's still trying to catch the lord of the lake?"

i looked behind me, seeing 2 men carrying heavy boxes filled with fish. my hold tightened on my bag as I blinked. "h-huh?

ah- yeah.. he is. he's been at it nonstop for a week." I hesitantly answered, feeling my throat run dry at the mention of gon and the Lord of the lake. it's been a week since I told him he could try to catch it and he hasn't made it yet. maybe there's still hope that he'll give up.

"you promised he could take the hunter exam if he caught it, right?" he asked and I nodded, confirming the rumor. it's a small community, so gossip or rumor such as this travel very quickly. practically everyone knew about this, some ladies gave me comforting words, completely understanding my anxiety while others told me to expect the unexpected because "he has the blood of ging in him."

"what a fool he is. 5 adults couldn't catch that monster! how is a child meant to catch it?"

"y/n-san doesn't want him to take the exam."

i twitched in surprise, not expecting them to know so easily. but I guess it should be pretty obvious. some might call me over protective for this, but gon is only 12 years old. in my opinion, it's too early for him to enter the real world on his own.

"n-not at all... it's just that- if he can't catch it then he's not ready for the hunter exam's yet.." i cleared my throat, making up an excuse.

"gon's old man was the same age when he caught it, so i believe in him."

here they are, those words that have been haunting me for days...

later that day, I stumbled upon a huge crowd of people, all circling around something which I couldn't see. mumbles and whispers sounded from them, and I couldn't make anything out of it. it was strange, and a gut feeling told me i should prepare myself for what was to come. suddenly, two ladies from the crowd noticed me watching them from a few meters a way. one of them put a hand on her mouth, while the other waved me over.

 "y/n! come look!" the waving lady said, her movements speeding up, "gon actually caught it!"

the crowd quicklymoved at the sight of me, allowing me to see what was so important and shocking that they all gathered around it like moths with a lamp. it was gon, standing before the Lord of the lake. my heart dropped to my feet and I stood there in shock, watching as his grin widened and as he ran towards me.

"i caught the lord, as promised!" he beamed, "i can take the hunter exam right? right?" he was practically jumping up and down from excitement, and I couldn't help but feel only sadness and fear for the future. I stared at him reluctantly for a moment, before pulling him into my arms and hugging him tightly. he was warm and quickly returned the embrace without a second to waste. the scent of the ocean and forest entered my nostrils when I pressed my face against his shoulder.

"I can't stop you... I know that now. do your best gon, and pass the exam." I finally said, my hold on him loosening.

"I'll do my best! I promise, mom! I'll pass it!" he said, breaking the hug with an even wider smile on his face.

i had to hold in tears as i watched him run back home.

a lady I was familiar with approached me from the crowd who was quietly watching and put her warm and calloused hand on top of my shoulder. "he'll be alright, after all he has ging's blood in him." she said, and I quickly wiped the tears that were threatening to fall.