- 5 -

Poorly revised, sorry in advance if there are many mistakes and typos :s

She looked at the piece of plastic in her hand once again as if by some type of magic the things written on it would change. It wasn't that she was particularly angry at what it said, it somewhat actually soothed and relieved her, but it was just... not what she expected. Being put as a grade 4 sorcerer was simply not what she expected, what the rest of the people expected from her. She looked away from her Jujutsu ID card.

She didn't feel wrong to not have reached Geto's expectations, that wasn't what bothered her. As she said back then, she almost preferred a lower rank because it would mean less work and having more of an untroubled life. But after she learned she could be placed as a grade 1, she had made herself to the idea and now... it was disappointing. 

"Come in," the man's voice sounded from inside the office. She tightened her hand around her sorcerer's ID card and opened the door, about to ask her sensei why she was placed in the lowest rank. But she stopped when she saw he wasn't alone, by the desk sat another person, a student: Gojo Satoru. 

"I can come back later if you're busy," (Y/n) said, feeling slightly embarrassed to ask Yaga about her rank placement when Gojo was right there, leaning his head on his hand as he looked at her through his round glasses while rocking his crossed leg. 

"It's fine, we weren't talking about anything important. What is it?" Yaga encouraged (Y/n) to say what she had come to say. She now played with the card in her hand, nervously.

"I thought I'd be sorted as a grade 1?" she mumbled her question, not as confident as earlier while she showed her card to the man who had helped her into the jujutsu world after her father was killed "I mean," she rushed when both Yaga and Gojo kept looking at her in silence "Geto said, and I thought, that sorcerers are placed depending on the grade of the curses they manage to exorcise...?" 

"Not necessarily," Yaga answered. Gojo's eyes traveled from her to him without moving away from his slouched position "You just got into all this" (Y/n) nodded slightly, playing with the card in her hands as she bit her lip. She was about to turn around but she simply couldn't. 

"But grade 4?" Gojo's eyes were back on her, but he stayed in silence all along "I thought students were usually put on grade 3, it's the novice's grade," she said, thinking that she understood not being placed as a grade 1 but maybe a grade 2? 3 even, but 4? She didn't know of anyone in the school who was placed so low. 

"Grade 4 is for the inexperienced, which is what you are. You can always rank up, (Y/n). This is only the starter point," Yaga tried to explain to her. She bit her lip, nodded again, and finally left the room, feeling a bit less bad, but still not too satisfied by Yaga's answer. 

There was a short silence after she left, but it was finally broken by the student. 

"Grade 4?" Gojo asked with an arched brow. 

Yaga was right, she was inexperienced, but no one was put in grade 4. It was more made as punishment or humiliation than for actual grading means. It wasn't written anywhere, but everyone knew it was like that. And even if that wasn't the case, Gojo too thought she shouldn't have been placed as a grade 4 sorcerer. Yes, her technique was interesting and potentially powerful, but she also was inexperienced. Given that he hadn't seen her on a real mission, he would have placed her as a grade 3, like most of the students. Although Geto's opinion of her as a grade 1 still threw him off. It only made him more wary of the ranking decision. If Suguru thought she should be a grade 1, then she probably should be a grade 1. 

"Like I  said, she's very new to all this. She has no experience against curses, no experience in combat, no experience of anything related to how things work. She has to get better, without combat skills she's useless" he explained a bit more than he did to her. Gojo agreed in a way, but... grade 4?