Chapter 73

Patricia was wearing the most flowing dress she had ever seen. Her red hair played in the wind as she spun around and around the grand ballroom lit by faded candles. The music continued happily as everyone applauded.

Her grandparents also danced happily, as if they were still children, her uncle had a tall and stunning red-haired woman as a partner, and her friends had also found a partner. There were more people whom she didn't recognize, but at the same time, she knew that she had known them for many years.

That's right, she had been living in the castle with her family for years, she had trained hard to meet the expectations of her trainers and had had excellent teachers to become a worthy maiden as well as a fearsome warrior.

That night of her birthday, she felt like a child again and couldn't stop having fun and doing mischief. She had even turned down some dance partners because she wanted to keep up with her own pace.

Until, the young man whom she wanted to invite, approached her and offered her hand. It was then that she did not hesitate to accept, since she knew that, as soon as they synchronized the beat, there would be no rules for both of them. She was vaguely aware of the wary look from her grandfather and the laughter from her grandmother, and her uncle, as if they were in sync.

Nothing mattered: They were free. Nothing would stop them.

Her reflection in the huge ornate mirror in the living room made her stop.

Something wasn't right. She couldn't tell what it was but...

The woman in the mirror, she was so beautiful, with unruly auburn hair in an attempt to keep it styled, her eyes glowing a deep crimson and her face turning pale. Fang tips flashed from her as she parted her lips.

"What's going on, Milady?"

"Is everything all right, dear?"

"Did something happen?"

"Patricia?"

It was the same woman, the one who turned around at the mention of her name.

"I'm fine, grandma," she contextualized to the maiden in white.

"Are you sure?" She examined it, concerned.

"Don't worry, I just remembered something."

"Okay," she smiled at her "come on, the evening isn't over yet, your grandfather, you know how he is."

She laughed in response and followed her, arm in arm, but not before her eyes, like blood, returned to rest one last time on the mirror, where the girl on the other side remained stupefied, with one hand on the glass.

When Patricia opened her eyes, she was standing in front of the mirror, one hand on the glass.

She was trembling, but only her reflection returned her gaze.

"So, you saw it." she turned to Majo's voice.

Nikki levitated next to her:

"Indeed, the anomaly ended."

"Anomaly?" Patricia looked around her, at the beautiful room that she did not remember having seen before, and then at herself, at her lacy pale pink nightgown, her disheveled hair... "Where is my barrette? And my armor? And my whip?

"Within sight of you, little lady" Majo pointed to a small and jeweled table, where the hair garment was arranged among fine satin.

The girl went to grab it and looked at it in her hands.

"Apparently the jewel absorbed them both when Dracul made the magic recede," said the hologram.

"So how do I get it back?"