Chapter 78

There was no way to put on his armor and holster his weapon fast enough.

"Move, move!"

Gabriel and his brothers shot off the balcony to land in the courtyard, where they were preparing to defend.

"Apprentices, to the attic! Protect civilians!" Ordered their superior.

There were elite soldiers already guarding the surrounding area, as expected of the Brotherhood of Light, with archers at their posts, spears forward, and swords lying in wait. War priests at each entrance were casting their spells.

And bloodied corpses of both Brothers and misshapen bat-like creatures with long, dark claws and fangs like daggers.

"Crews of the Dark Lord?" gasped Thomas

"Julia told me that I should warn you" José stayed by her side "while they hid with the other maidens. She said something about a prepared spell and...something else."

"Just talk!"

"The summoner, she knew this would happen!"

"What the hell!" Manuel snorted.

"It can't be... somehow she knew that today we would lower our guard..." Tomas mumbled.

"Well, stay awake!" Gabriel growled at them "Or we will be food for demons!"

In the huge pavilion to the underground channels, surrounded by protective spells, more apprentices and soldiers gathered in a guard position.

"One group will stay outside and the other will spread out in duos at the tunnel entrances!" the instructor began to point out "a soldier and an apprentice in each!"

"Yes sir!"

"You, young warrior!" called an old warrior who was very familiar to him.

"I know you" Gabriel frowned at him.

"You will come with me to the northeast entrance."

"They are at the northeast entrance, Julia told me" Jose whispered "and I have heard that this old man is formidable, you should go."

Gabriel's frown deepened at so many coincidences but he went after the Brother without complaint.

"It is a pity that we find ourselves in these circumstances, young warrior" he told him when they headed towards the tunnels "the maidens that you protected last time are here, you will be able to see them before heading to our posts."

"Who are you? Why are you helping me?" He was still reluctant to trust his sudden partner.

"I'm just an old man captivated by romance" he replied sarcastically. "Here!"

Instead of going straight down the hall, they came to the hall where a bunch of trembling maidens were sheltering.

"Gabriel!" Marie ran towards him, as if she had been waiting for him.

"Are you alright?" He held her against his chest.

"We're fine" she separated to look into his eyes and speak to him softer "you have to know, something is very wrong, I don't know how, but I can feel it, I... I..."

"Okay," he rubbed her shoulders, "breathe, what's going on?"

Her sisters leered at them, but remained cringing, even Julia was holding a sobbing Anisa.

"I... she knew, th-th-they..."

"The vampires."

He couldn't help but notice how she cringed at the word.